We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Rio Celeste without a car

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mississippi
Level Contributor
159 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Rio Celeste without a car

Please forgive me if I missed this in the frequent question list or previous posts.

What is the best way to get to Rio Celeste from La Fortuna without a car? I have seen some tours that combine Rio Celeste with other activities for a full day and would rather just get a ride. It seems too far to take a cab. Thanks for any advice!

We will be in Costa Rica next week and I am getting so excited to see this country for the first time! These boards are invaluable.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Rio Celeste without a car

Take an organized excursion if you don't have a car. It's a 2 hour drive to Rio Celeste. Theoretically you could take a bus to Bijagua and hire a taxi there to take you to the park entrance but I couldn't find any morning bus departures in the bus schedule and it takes about 3.5 hours each way by public bus, leaving no time for hiking.

Desafio Adventures is a reputable operator in La Fortuna that conducts hikes to Rio Celeste: www.desafiocostarica.com/index.php…

It would be a lot less expensive to just rent a car in La Fortuna for the day, especially if there are 2 of you.

Edited: 03 April 2014, 15:55
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Rio Celeste without a car

I agree with crfan It might even be closer to 2.5 hours from La Fortuna to the entrance to the National Park, depending on the condition of the gravel/rock road that leads to the Park.

It's more or less impossible to do a day trip from La Fortuna to the Rio Celeste because of the bus schedules. It just takes too long - plus - the rangers will not let you begin the hike after 2 pm.

Your best option is to rent a car for the day and drive yourselves. More economical than going with an organized tour and you can go at your own pace as well as stopping whenever you see something interesting or a good photo op.

NJ
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Rio Celeste without a car

Hi Redbirder,

I was trying to do the same and found out it costs $140 for a private round trip, where the driver will wait in Rio Celeste to pick you up, after your hike. Just checked rental car for a day and it's anywhere between $33 - $43, which seems at least a $100 cheaper than private driver.

Hattie, is this a reasonably easy route to drive (i.e. not too complicated turns, confusing forks etc)?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Rio Celeste without a car

It's pretty straightforward, pujanj. It would be difficult to get lost. Plus - you can always rent a GPS with your rental car - most GPS's have the entrance to the National Park entered into the GPS.

And by the way - I'm not so sure about that rental car price. Be sure that any quote includes the mandatory insurance.

NJ
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Rio Celeste without a car

Thank you Hattie! You're right, it's $60 for the car rental and another $12 for the GPS.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Rio Celeste without a car

Still cheaper than taking a taxi or using a private driver - with lots more flexibility.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Rio Celeste without a car

Better pick a excursion, because the only way to get there is driving or renting a car an better be a 4x4.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Rio Celeste without a car

Gabriel: People travel to the Tenorio Volcano National Park every day in cars that are not 4x4. Is it better to have a 4x4? Probably -- but mainly for the extra clearance and general sturdiness.

But if someone is a careful and observant driver and doesn't mind picking the best spots to travel on the gravel road that leads to the National Park, a non 4x4 will work fine. I've done it both types of vehicles and when I drove there in my 4x4, I never turned on the 4x4 capability.

Lake George, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Rio Celeste without a car

The tour is your best shot. Local buses take way longer and your time seems to be limited. Great place, highly recommended.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Rio Celeste without a car

Hi,

We'll be in Arenal and are doing Rio Celeste on April 8th, if this day works for you send me a PM and we can work out the details :)

Edited: 04 April 2014, 12:51