We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arenal volcano

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Arenal volcano

My family of four (2 teens) will be traveling to Costa Rica in August. Since we won't be renting a car, we are not sure where to stay since my husband doesn't like to be trapped at a resort eating overpriced meals or spending $40 on taxis to la fortuna to do so.. We want to go to the Arenal Volcano to do all the activities (ziplining, etc.) and were thinking about the Springs Resort, Tabaccon resort, or Arenal Kioro, but they all seem far from the city of La Fortuna. We don't mind taking a taxi, but if we do, we prefer a resort in between and not too far from the city center, especially for dining options. Any suggestions for nice places to stay that maybe a bit closer to la fortuna?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arenal volcano

This might help: www.arenal.net/arenal-costa-rica-map.htm This map shows many of the hotels, the volcano and the town of La Fortuna so you can make some choices if you want to be closer to La Fortuna.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arenal volcano

Thank you!

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arenal volcano

Any suggestion favorite resorts close to la fortuna? What's your opinion on the Baldi Hotel, We may like to experience the hot springs.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arenal volcano

I recommend picking the hotel that suits you and don't worry about the hot springs since you can just go and visit the many hot springs. And Baldi is not the one I would pick if you decide on a hotel with hot springs. It's generally just too crowded with tour buses, etc - but - it will depend somewhat on the time of year.

If you want a comfortable, quiet bungalow, about 10 minutes from La Fortuna, take a look at Arenal Oasis. Beautifully done bungalows, nice staff and their own rainforest. They have set up bird feeders in the breakfast area and while they are preparing your breakfast (included in the price), you can watch the many birds that come to feed. One morning when I was there, I counted 12 different species.

It's a longish walk - but - you can walk to a supermarket and there's a little fried chicken place across the road from the supermarket for a quick and informal meal.

Edited: 06 April 2014, 22:14
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arenal volcano

It looks nice, but we need air condition, I think..thank you for the advice about the hot springs.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arenal volcano

Well.... you really don't need air conditioning. And many hotels in Costa Rica do not have it.

The bungalows there stay cool due to being in the shade and have good ceiling fans.

But, of course, there are many hotels in the area so you should be able to find one that suits you perfectly.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arenal volcano

Ok, thanks for the suggestions!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
267 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arenal volcano

I would avoid the Baldi hot springs. Not anything near what I expected! I thought I was in Las Vegas at one of the glitzy hotels with swim up bars and blasting music!

I would also only stay at a resort with air conditioning. Most places do not have screens and you don't want to open the windows to insects (I certainly did not want to). Just returned from Costa Rica on march 26

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arenal volcano

Thank you, i definitely don't want to travel to Costa Rica to be stuck in a loud tourist hotel/hot spring area. If you have any suggestions for hotel/resorts not too far away from the city center, I'd appreciate it. Especially, since we decided not to rent a car and will have to depend on a taxi service. Air condition is a must for me too. Have you've heard of hotel Royal Corin Resort by any chance? It seems not too far, but far enough from the noise and it looks nice from the photos.

10. Re: Arenal volcano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2015, 07:15