We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from SJO Airport To Fortuna area - Fog?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
51 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from SJO Airport To Fortuna area - Fog?

Hi - I'll be driving from SJO airport to La Fortuna on Sunday. Our flight arrives at 11:44am, so figure we should be in our rental car by 1:30 or so. Seems like we shoild be fine getting up there before dark, but have read here and there that the fog can get pretty bad that time of day. How bad is it? I know there are a few different routes to get there (thanks Hattie and RoadAdvisor!) - would any be more preferred that time of day?

Thanks so much!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from SJO Airport To Fortuna area - Fog?

I don't think one route is necessarily preferred over the other. They both go through some hilly and curvy country. And yes, you can expect some fog -- but usually not anything too bad. More like "cloud forest mist" kind of thing. And it doesn't last very long. During the daylight hours, it's not a big deal - but we always caution people against driving after dark since that's a "whole 'nother thang."

Edited: 21 May 2014, 00:04
San Francisco
Level Contributor
51 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from SJO Airport To Fortuna area - Fog?

Thanks for the feedback Hattie. I live in the San Francisco area, so I'm fairly used to driving in fog like that.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from SJO Airport To Fortuna area - Fog?

You'll be fine, in that case. You know what to do.

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from SJO Airport To Fortuna area - Fog?

I must be very unlucky then cuz I've run into very heavy fog more than once at this time of year on the road from San Ramon (though granted normally later in the afternoon). One time I could barely see more than 15-25 feet ahead of me (a eeal white knuckle experience that I'll never forget). That route is considered a little shorter and faster but because of its position along the Cordillera Central (and passing through cloud forest terrain) I think is more prone to fog than the other route through Naranjo and San Carlos (aka Ciudad Quesada). OTOH, that other route is a little longer and subject to more traffic particularly as it passes through some larger towns like Zarcero and San Carlos. However, I hesitate to make an absolute recommendation of 1 route over another. You might want to play it by ear and make your final decision based on the conditions when you arrive such as relative cloudiness & humidity (though keeping in mind that is not necessarily the most reliable indicator of how things might be just a few miles away once you get into the cloud forest)

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from SJO Airport To Fortuna area - Fog?

Yes, Prolijo, you were unlucky. The times I have done it, it wasn't a "white knuckle" fog.

Besides, the OP lives in San Francisco.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
179 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from SJO Airport To Fortuna area - Fog?

Thank you for your input, Prolijo. I think it is helpful to hear about other's experiences and gain an understanding of all the possibilities, to assist in making an informed decision.

7. Re: Driving from SJO Airport To Fortuna area - Fog?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...