We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help and Rainforest Chocolate Tour question

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
8 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary help and Rainforest Chocolate Tour question

Hi, I am visiting Costa Rica next week and of course I am still changing my itinerary. We are staying in Arenal the first four days before going to Monteverde. I am traveling with my husband and two boys (8 and 10). I figured we could change/add things to our itinerary once we get there. So far:

Day 1: traveling

Day 2: Pure Trek Canyoning until 1230

Day 3: Rainforest Chocolate tour 8-10

Arenal Oasis Night Walk 530

Day 4: Real Cano Negro 7-330

Day 5: Traveling to Monteverde

So, Question...Do you think my boys would like the chocolate tour or do you think that would be bored? I was thinking of either switching the time or eliminating it completely and adding Proyecto Asis. Also, is there anything else on my itinerary I should change?

Thank you so so much for your help!!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help and Rainforest Chocolate Tour question

I would definitely do Proyecto Asis rather than the chocolate tour. I can pretty much guarantee that they won't be bored at Proyecto Asis but can't say the same for the chocolate tour. Wild animals vs cacao pods?

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help and Rainforest Chocolate Tour question

Everybody who I've told about the Rainforest Chocolate Tour has loved it! If they don't like chocolate...maybe, but it's very interactive as there is a lot of tasting & playing with flavors/spices to add to a type of "hot chocolate". As for Cano Negro, I love it but I LOVE birds & animals yet even I have an issue sitting for hours. That is something you may need to think about...it's a long drive to get there and then a long time sitting in a boat...and then a long drive back. That's my 2 cents. Enjoy your time here! ;-)

8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help and Rainforest Chocolate Tour question

That's totally what I was thinking! Thanks Hattie!!!

I forgot to also mention that in Monteverde we are doing the Hanging Bridges and Zip-lining so we don't have to do that in Arenal also and we are staying at Los Lagos so we could at least hopefully enjoy the pool and hot springs there in the afternoon; if it doesn't rain.

8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help and Rainforest Chocolate Tour question

So how about Proyecto Asis instead of Cano Negro. There's so much to see and do. Proyecto Asis sounds a lot more hands on and guarantees that we will see wildlife. Cano Negro sounds hit or miss.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help and Rainforest Chocolate Tour question

At Cano Negro, you will definitely see birds, tree-climbing iguanas and caimans. Anything else is kind of "hit and miss." However, the drive to get to the boats for Cano Negro is longish and the drive to Proyecto Asis is shorter (30-45 minutes from La Fortuna) so it will depend on how your kids "travel." For some kids, the drive would be worth it to do a BOAT TRIP!!! For others...... maybe not.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,287 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help and Rainforest Chocolate Tour question

We love both Cano Negro and Proyecto Asis. Cano Negro is nice for the river boat part of the trip; we've seen a lot of wildlife there including monkeys, sloths, caimans, and tons of water birds. It's a long day though. At Proyecto Asis, we got to help feed the animals like monkeys and the sloth, we were able to hold a raccoon. Cano Negro is more like going on a little jungle river safari, and Proyecto Asis is more like visiting a nice small zoo like environment where the animals are very well taken care of. We haven't done the chocolate tour, but I'll have to check that out - sounds fun.

Toronto
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help and Rainforest Chocolate Tour question

How are you getting from Monteverde to SJO? Or Arenal to SJO? I have a similar itinerary and will be flying from SJO to Arenal but not sure how to get from Monteverde to SJO.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help and Rainforest Chocolate Tour question

Aquariaguy: To get from Monteverde to SJO you have only three choices: Rent a car and drive yourself, hire a private driver, use the shared van shuttle. I suppose you could ride horseback or ride a bicycle, but that would probably take too long.

8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary help and Rainforest Chocolate Tour question

I'm getting from Monteverde to SJO via a private driver.

Thank you so much everyone for your help. :)

Toronto
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary help and Rainforest Chocolate Tour question

Would you mind sharing how much you paid, and the company you're going with? Looking for a reliable one.