We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arenal Hanging Bridges - safe?

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
271 reviews
Save Topic
Arenal Hanging Bridges - safe?

I'm recently hearing that the Hanging Bridges are having safety concerns. Anyone know if there is truth to this? I'll be there in August with me 18 & 14 yr old sons and had the bridges on our itinerary.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arenal Hanging Bridges - safe?

Interesting, can you let us know where you are hearing that?

Castro Valley...
Level Contributor
85 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arenal Hanging Bridges - safe?

We have plans to go there next month, but will be sure to check with our hotel (who booked the excursion for us) regarding any safety concerns.

nebraska
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arenal Hanging Bridges - safe?

They are very safe, very tame.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arenal Hanging Bridges - safe?

A lady I work with just came back. She and her family were on an organized 7 day tour which was to include an outing to the Hanging Bridges. Their tour operator told them due to safety concerns, they were switching out the Bridges to a sky tram outing. I'm afraid I don't know the tour operator she was with.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arenal Hanging Bridges - safe?

That may or may not be the case, JarMar. I have not heard anything about safety issues with the Hanging Bridges - but there might be.

Your best bet is to verify once you are in the area. Your lodging or tour organizations will know if there are problems at that time. If there are "safety issues," they could be fixed and not a problem by that time.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arenal Hanging Bridges - safe?

we were there June 9th. I never felt that the bridges weren't safe. However, we went in the late afternoon an hour and a half before they closed and so there weren't a lot of people on the bridges at the same time. Maybe going at a time when it would be less crowded would be more pleasant. Note the part of the bridge you walk on sway slightly when you walk, but i never felt the support system wasn't sturdy. have fun!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,872 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arenal Hanging Bridges - safe?

I thing we are dealing here with a tricky dirty tour operator....they just want it more commision at theother place and a good coward way is to bad mouth a perfext safe operation...incredible...

Hanging bridges are safe as far as I know...

roadadvisor

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arenal Hanging Bridges - safe?

Every element of our SkyTrek experience felt extremely safe.

California
Level Contributor
61 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arenal Hanging Bridges - safe?

My husband & daughter went on a hanging bridges tour that same week. He said a tree (limb?) fell on one of the bridges the night before & took out some bolts on that bridge. He was able to see the damage done & said other bolts were still in place, but the guides were recommending people not use that bridge until it was fixed. Perhaps that's the same thing your friend was talking about.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arenal Hanging Bridges - safe?

Thanks to everyone for their responses. Sounds to me like these bridges are definitely safe. They remain on my list of places to go & things to do when we get there in August!

Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...