We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Making the most of Arenal area

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Making the most of Arenal area

We will have only one full day in the Arena area - July 20th- and want to see and do the best of the area. We are staying at Hotel Kokoro without a vehicle. We are an adventurous family of 5 with 3 older kids (17, 18 and 21). We will be visiting Sky Trek in Monteverde, so we don't plan to zip line in Arenal. If you only had one day in Arenal, what would you do?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Making the most of Arenal area

Canyoning, rappelling, hiking ----- you can actually find a "combo" that would be excellent. Although a long and tiring day -- it would be a day to remember! This is one option: www.desafiocostarica.com/index.php…

For something with a little less adrenaline: www.arenal.net/tour/arenal-4-in-1-combo/

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Making the most of Arenal area

Thank you Hattie! I really like the 4 in 1 tour. The link led me to AnywhereCostaRica, which is the company we have booked our trip through. I hesitate booking this tour only because of the price tag - about $1000 for the 5 of us. Do you think we could arrange something similar on our own, once we are there? Do you have any idea how much a taxi would be from Kokoro to the hanging bridges? Kokoro has hot springs/pools which don't really seem like the others, but may be adequate for us at the end of the day, so that could save a bit of money there. I appreciate your advice!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Making the most of Arenal area

Sorry - I don't know how much a taxi would be.

You can get discounts on activities in the Arenal area by walking around La Fortuna and visiting the kiosks and offices of the tour agencies. I got a "combo" tour for my granddaughter that was basically all day and it was $100. However, you will need to do this the day before. If you arrive in the Arenal area in the afternoon, just head to La Fortuna and do your "tour shopping."

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Making the most of Arenal area

Thanks! I think that's what I'll do.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Making the most of Arenal area

You could do some ATV time, hiking, canyoning, rappelling, hot springs, some walk time to get closer to the volcano, rafting, Waterfall Rapelling.

6. Re: Making the most of Arenal area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 06:17