We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian/Gluten Free

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Vegetarian/Gluten Free

My husband and I are staying at Nayara Springs in October and we both have dietary restrictions. Think we'll be able to find food easily around the resorts and town? What about out on the tours etc?

Mentioned in this post
Nayara Springs
Nayara Springs
969 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Arenal Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Pura Vida Tours
Horseback Riding Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours
Chaves Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Canada
Level Contributor
4,612 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegetarian/Gluten Free

You should be fine. The three most popular foods are rice and beans, corn tortillas, and beans and rice.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarian/Gluten Free

Do be prepared to explain that you mean no chicken or fish when you say you are vegetarian. Otherwise as CanaTico says the corn based products and piles of rice shouldn't prove an issue for you. There are gluten-free pastas etc available in the more up-market supermarkets now, whereas a few years ago they were unheard of, so you can certainly buy products.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarian/Gluten Free

It may be kind of hard but it isn't impossible. Do you speak Spanish? It may be a bit harder at local sodas but really you should be fine even if you have a basic grasp of the language.

There is a great and fun local hang out called Lava Lounge Bar & Grill (http://www.lavaloungecostarica.com/) that I know has a lot of variety of dishes and vegetarian options. The owner also has a cooking class (www.costaricacooking.com) that is held near the La Fortuna Waterfall that is a lot of fun if you are into cuisine and I'm sure he'd be able to make special dishes to any dietary restrictions :)

Good luck!!

Mentioned in this post
Lava Lounge Bar & Grill
Lava Lounge Bar & Grill
2,015 Reviews
La Fortuna Waterfall
La Fortuna Waterfall
7,398 Reviews
4. Re: Vegetarian/Gluten Free

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...