We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Poas worth the extra drive?

Vermont
Level Contributor
98 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Is Poas worth the extra drive?

We arrive at the airport at one in the morning. Quick sleep at a hotel, and have to be in La Fortuna that evening.

Is it worth making the detour from the airport to Poas before heading up to La Fortuna?

nebraska
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Poas worth the extra drive?

Your best best would to be at Poas by 9am or so if it's a clear day up there. After that fog sets in to the crater even if the weather is good.

IMHO it is not worth the $10US a piece to see. Habve you been to Volcano Nat. Park on the big Island of Hawaii? Poas pales in comparrison.

Get to La Fortuna and then hike to the waterfall.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Poas worth the extra drive?

Disagree strongly that it is not worth $10/person to see. Poas is the world's largest open volcanic crater. It is awesome in person. Not every volcano needs lava flow to be worth seeing. The park also features an eerily beautiful extinct crater lake that is surrounded by lush vegetation. The cloud forest itself is also a reason to make a visit. It looks like something out of Lord of the Rings--it's even referred to as 'Elfin' forest.

But, you should get there as close to the opening time as possible. You will probably want to stay in Alajuela northwest if the airport. We like the Orquideas Inn because it is literally right on the road to Poas and to Arenal as well.

Vermont
Level Contributor
98 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Poas worth the extra drive?

Was Arenal any better? I was just thinking that it might be nice to get the up close and personal experience at Poas, then the bigger picture at Arenal.

This is our first volcano experience ever!

Vermont
Level Contributor
98 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Poas worth the extra drive?

Do you happen to remember how long it took to get to Poas from the airport?

Or from Poas to La Fortuna?

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Poas worth the extra drive?

Hard to compare the two. Where are you staying in Arenal?

Arenal is fairly quiet these days. It's also not unusual for the volcano to be covered in clouds such that people can stay there for three days and not see the volcano. On the other hand, we did get spectacular views when we stayed at the Observatory Lodge (which also has great hiking and wildlife).

For driving time, I would budget about an hour to get from the airport area to Poas, and another 2 hours to explore the park itself. Drive time from Poas to Arenal should be budgeted at 4 hours. It very well may not take that long, but it's prudent to budget time for poor visibility, stops to eat, getting lost etc. You could easily see Poas and still get to Arenal by around 2:30 pm.

Vermont
Level Contributor
98 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Poas worth the extra drive?

We are staying at the Berlor by the airport and Arenal Greens on the other end. Our trip is in June, so I am planning on everything being in the early morning, as I hear the rain can be counted on by afternoon.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Poas worth the extra drive?

From San Jose to Poas...about 55 minutes...from Poas to Arenal about 4 hours...you most back track all the way to Alaljuela...

I went to Arenal yesterday it was so clear ...so nice...honestly even without lava is a great place...

Regarding Poas...I have had been visiting the Park for the last 45 years or even more...and is a place that nobody know when is going to be clear...better chances in the morning...but I have had seen the geyser explosions even in the afternoon...nice place...incredible views...I will said that Poas will not pale comparing it with any other crater any where in the world...

roadadvisor

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,028 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Poas worth the extra drive?

Can not comment about the crater ... 45 min stare 1 sec glimps of crater. And it was cold up there (remember 2can). But there is very nice trail nearby. Maybe try Irazu - better chance to see the crater. Arenal is picture perfect ... but one can see only from distance; and Hawaii volcano park is a completely different type of volcano.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Poas worth the extra drive?

Is totally worth the trip to Poas, just go as early as possible, hopefully you'll get to see its beauty, on way back to Alajuela you might want to have lunch at one of the areas mirador restaurant, great views of Central Valley.

Vermont
Level Contributor
98 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Poas worth the extra drive?

So I just found out about the Rio Celeste!! I am so excited about that... anything else around La Fortuna, Santa Elena or Montezuma that does not get a lot of attention??

Thank you all for your input. Sounds like it might be best to do Poas on the way back through instead of trying to wake the kids up after a 1am landing.

Thanks SO much!!

Get answers to your questions about Poas Volcano National...
Recent Conversations
More Poas Volcano National Park Topics