We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

leaving tomorrow--advice please on Poas volcano in the rain

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
224 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
leaving tomorrow--advice please on Poas volcano in the rain

I will be arriving in Alajuela tomorrow night. I was about to book a tour for this Thursday that will arrive at Poas at 9 a.m. (earliest I could find). (It is with Grayline, btw). Then on to Doka coffee plantation and Sarchi. But looking at the weather, it is supposed to be nothing but "rain and drizzle" on Thursday.

accuweather.com/en/…115235

Is it pointless to try to see Poas in this weather? Would be grateful for your advice. I will have a chance later in my trip to get to Irazu volcano, btw.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,932 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: leaving tomorrow--advice please on Poas volcano in the rain

I can see the volcano from my house...and it looks fine...but with Poas you never know...sorry I wish I can be more specific!

roadadvisor

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
224 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: leaving tomorrow--advice please on Poas volcano in the rain

Thanks, roadadvisor. So if you were me, would you go ahead and book for Thursday? Don't worry, I won't hold you responsible!!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: leaving tomorrow--advice please on Poas volcano in the rain

Tropical storm Sandy is pulling in a lot of moisture and the next few days probably will be pretty wet, but Poás is ALWAYS a gamble. It can be perfectly clear at the top above the clouds on a wet rainy day it can be totally socked in while the valley below is sunny and hot.

The big question is what will you do on Thursday if you aren't out seeing the volcano and coffee plantation...if you're just going to sit around the hotel instead then that sounds like a bad choice. Go ahead and go and who knows what unexpected adventure awaits even if you don't see the crater lake. You didn't come all the way to Costa Rica to hang out in the hotel...

Irazú and Poás are a similar experience so you won't totally miss out if you go to Irazú later.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,619 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: leaving tomorrow--advice please on Poas volcano in the rain

Poas park is still worth exploring--Botos lagoon is gorgeous.

Another option would be to see Irazu, which is so high it's usually above the rain clouds.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
224 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: leaving tomorrow--advice please on Poas volcano in the rain

Thanks, all.

Since I will be able to get to Irazu later, maybe I will not reserve Poas for Thursday and just go to the Doka plantation instead. I chose to stay in Alajuela my first night specifically so I could be closer to those things than in SJ. But if I skip Poas, I can take my first day at a more leisurely pace (on holidays after all, right?)!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,433 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: leaving tomorrow--advice please on Poas volcano in the rain

I've learned not to plan too many things based on the weather report. For most of our trips, it has said rain is forecast for every single day of the trip. We always go for it. We went to Poas on a sunny day, but it was still covered in clouds when we got there early in the morning. Eventually they lifted, and we got to see it.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,932 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: leaving tomorrow--advice please on Poas volcano in the rain

Good idea...wait until you are here!

Agree with Racandee even in a wet day is a nice hike...please if you are planning to visit Irazu and maybe Poas ...bring some kind of water proof jacket or wind breaker...can be nice ...since is cold at the two volcanos...very cold!

roadadivsor

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,619 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: leaving tomorrow--advice please on Poas volcano in the rain

It wouldn't hurt to stop by Poas in the morning. As I said, it's still worth hiking the grounds even if there's total cloud cover. Watching the clouds spill over the crater at Botos lagoon is really cool, in a creepy kind of way.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
224 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: leaving tomorrow--advice please on Poas volcano in the rain

OK, I've booked it. Now all I need is some suerte!

10. Re: leaving tomorrow--advice please on Poas volcano in the rain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 16:15
Get answers to your questions about Poas Volcano National...
Recent Conversations
More Poas Volcano National Park Topics