We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitewater Rafting the Pacuare with Rio Locos

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Whitewater Rafting the Pacuare with Rio Locos

Hi,

We are planning a whitewater rafting trip on the Pacuare and were looking at various outfitters. We came across Rio Locos http://www.whiteh2o.com/ on the web, but could not find any reviews on Tripadvisor. If you have rafted with them and have any input, good or bad, that would be great in helping us decide whether to go with them. None of us have whitewater rafting experience but we are all athletic.

Thanks

Dominical, Costa...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitewater Rafting the Pacuare with Rio Locos

I have gone on a number of rafting trips down the Pacuare with Loco's. They are awesome!! Very professional, safe and experienced. They've been doing it for years. I have gone on day trips as well as overnights with them and they have been great every time. I highly recommend floating with them.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitewater Rafting the Pacuare with Rio Locos

The World Rafting Championships are taking place on the Pacaure October 4th to 11th this year. I can imagine that this may have an impact on recrreational Rafting at this time. Could, however be an exciting event to attend.

http://www.costarica2011wrc.com/

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitewater Rafting the Pacuare with Rio Locos

When it comes to rafting, best to stick to well-known outfitters with a long track record and solid reputation.

Rios Tropicales and Aventuras Naturales seem to be the two best known. We've rafted twice with Rios Tropicales and would recommend them to anyone.

Rios Locos may be a good outfitter, but when it comes to something where safety is an absolute must, I would play it safe in choosing a rafting outfitter.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,308 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whitewater Rafting the Pacuare with Rio Locos

100% with RACANDEE and as a former outfitter ...I will stick with well known people...my choice will be Rios Tropicales...

If you are planning the trip in the next months...water level can be high...you will need a company that really take serious high waters...with also good high water guides...Pacuare with plenty water is somenthing else...but can be dangerous...deal with the best people possible.

roadadvisor

Dominical, Costa...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whitewater Rafting the Pacuare with Rio Locos

I know Loco's isn't the biggest river outfitter, but that's not to say they aren't well versed in what they do. Advertising budget doesn't tell the whole story... One of the guides for Loco's (Chalo) was the captain of the Costa Rican whitewater rafting team from '94 to '98. If the country was confident in trusting Chalo with their whitewater team's success, I know you'll be in good hands with them. For more info see the article featuring them in the New York Times: …nytimes.com/2009/…

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whitewater Rafting the Pacuare with Rio Locos

High water on the Pacuare is indeed no joke--we've done it during low water and high water and it's a different river when the water gets going.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,308 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whitewater Rafting the Pacuare with Rio Locos

Just to let everybody know Rafael Gallo president of Rios Tropicales have had been the captain of the Costa Rica boating teams at the Olimpic games...and he maybe be one of the best kayakers and river guides in our country!

Just to clarify...I do not like the name dropping around...but I also do not like people to get confuse!

roadadvisor

Middletown, Iowa
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whitewater Rafting the Pacuare with Rio Locos

My son (then 13 years old) and I used Rio Locos when rafting in Costa Rica in early August 2010. Chalo was great. He seemed quite skilled. There was also a safety kayaker that traveled along/behind us and even in front of us at times to ensure safety (and he also took pictures). The rafting was fun and we felt safe at all times. The only thing I might wish them to change a bit was offer a bit more at lunch time. They do pack it in the raft and turn the raft over to use as a table to prepare and serve it off of, though, so there are limitations. We did, however, get plenty of food (our raft had us two, a guy traveling alone, Chalo....and then the separate safety kayaker). This company was recommended by our wonderful B&B hosts (Steve and Nancy), and we were not disappointed. When rafting through a calm water area, we could get off the raft and float downstream. That was relaxing, and it gave the opportunity to really take in the beautiful scenery. My son had the time of his life. This company is safe and I don't think anyone would have a problem with them or safety concerns.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
8 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whitewater Rafting the Pacuare with Rio Locos

I second Rios Tropicales without any hesitation whatsoever. Been on their trips many times and know them personally. Absolutely the best, the original and authentic. 28 years running.

10. Re: Whitewater Rafting the Pacuare with Rio Locos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2014, 12:15
Get answers to your questions about Turrialba