We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rios tropicales or Pacuare lodge?

bath, england
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
rios tropicales or Pacuare lodge?

Can't decide which lodge to stay in for 3 day rafting trip.

Rios looks much better value whilst not compromising on safety. But I understand the capacity is 85 and rooms appear to be right on top of each other.

Pacuare looks more in line with the illusion of being marooned in a tranquil jungle oasis. But despite costing twice as much they won't pick us up from our hotel and want to charge an additional fee to take us to Arenal which Rios will do within what is half the price.

This is a once in a lifetime trip so don't want to regret not having perfect (priceless!!) memories for the sake of spending some money!

6 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rios tropicales or Pacuare lodge?

The Pacuare Lodge's website says it includes pick up and drop off. Did you point that out to them?

bath, england
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rios tropicales or Pacuare lodge?

Your right but that is just in San Jose. They kindly agreed a discount for not using the return journey to San Jose but the overall impact on price for transfering to Arenal instead is $158 more.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rios tropicales or Pacuare lodge?

If you don't mind, posting it, what's your planned itinerary, and how much are you locked into?

Escazú, San Jose...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rios tropicales or Pacuare lodge?

Rios Tropicales has free transfers to Arenal/ Fortuna and Puerto Viejo/ Cahuita areas. Rooming arrangements are: 13 Deluxe Rooms, 4 Standard and the rest for student groups. Experienced guides working for 10 - 20 years in the company & certified by International Rafting Federation. Read the Rios Tropicales TripAdvisor reviews.

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rios tropicales or Pacuare lodge?

I think one cant go wrong with Rios Tropicales. Theyve been in business for almost 30 years know and know their stuff. I really trust them and if the price is right, I am sure you will not regret it. Of course, Pacuare Lodge is much more deluxe, but Rios' experience is still going to be wonderful.

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rios tropicales or Pacuare lodge?

Having stayed 3 nights at Pacuare Lodge, I can honestly say it was worth every penny. That said, it was a lot of pennies! Some friends stayed at Rios Tropicales, and they had a lot of fun, but if this is a trip of a lifetime, you'll probably enjoy the stay at Pacuare better. I strongly recommend the zipline tour, and don't miss the walk to the waterfall. A good guide will also point out flora & fauna along the way. And the food is INCREDIBLE! Like I said, worth every penny!

Reply to: rios tropicales or Pacuare lodge?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Turrialba