We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canopy for someone scared of heights? Arenal, or Guanacaste

Alabama
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Canopy for someone scared of heights? Arenal, or Guanacaste

Help, Please! I am trying to talk myself into doing a canopy as my husband really wants to. I myself am afraid of heights so I wanted to see if anyone can tell me were the lowest and safest tour is in the Arenal area or the Playa Hermosa Area. Thanks so much for anyone out there that can help me!

southern Vermont
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Canopy for someone scared of heights? Arenal, or Guanacaste

I am afraid of heights and did the Skywalk nearest to Monteverde Cloud Forest. It was a series of eight solid suspension bridges connected by a nice walking path. At the beginning you could hear the screams of the people taking off overhead on the zipline. I did not see any wildlife, other than birds. I imagine the wildlife stays far away from circuits commonly walked by hundreds of humans. But I am glad I did it once. I was able to pause to look and take pictures without too much stress. I felt safe.

I stayed at Sleepers Hostels in Santa Elena. The Skywalk tour sends a van to pick up customers.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canopy for someone scared of heights? Arenal, or Guanacaste

Just how afraid of heights are you? I sent my family on their merry way and I had a cocktail at the mudbathes. One time I made the major mistake of doing the Mesa Verde Indian dwellings. I thought I was going to have a heart attack climbing up that ladder.

Alabama
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Canopy for someone scared of heights? Arenal, or Guanacaste

I am pretty afraid of heights. I would love to do it because everyone says it is great. I was all set to do witches rock and saw a clip of it on you tube and now I am panicking! I will try to check out the one near Monteverde. Thanks for that info! I just don't want to get to the middle and panic!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canopy for someone scared of heights? Arenal, or Guanacaste

mama,

I hear you can always back out at the last minute. I just know it would be a thrill, if I could get over the shear panic of it all. Just not willing to go there yet, plus I have a bad neck and I can;t afford to get that tensed up. Best of luck and enjoy your vacation in wonderful CR.

Jennifer

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
508 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canopy for someone scared of heights? Arenal, or Guanacaste

Check with the Tabacon Resort at Arenal. We stayed there a number of years ago, and they have a small, 3-platform zip line. It might be perfect for you. Also, most of the zip lines, no matter where you go, have plenty of guides that you can zip along with in tandem if you are afraid.

My husband and I have been to Costa Rica 9 times. We both like the zip line at Monteverde the best. It has a lot of platforms (10 maybe?) and even a tarzan swing!

Dominical
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Canopy for someone scared of heights? Arenal, or Guanacaste

Another option if you are afraid of heights is at Hacienda Baru just north of Dominical on the road to Quepos/Jaco. The platforms are reasonable without being too high and the jungle is very very dense down this way.

You can find Hacienda Baru on the net here:

sellingcr.com/submit-weblink/costa-rica-link…

7. Re: Canopy for someone scared of heights? Arenal, or Guanacaste

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 10:19