We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best area for non-AI stay

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,149 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
best area for non-AI stay

Apologies if this has been asked before - I searched but couldn't find anything.

My wife and I are planning to visit Guanacaste this December, but we don't want to go All-Inclusive, so my question is where to stay that has plenty of restaurants nearby. We're not interested in fine dining or ambience, just good food at reasonable prices.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best area for non-AI stay

Well the Tamarindo area has many nice hotel options at every price level and a town full of restaurants within walking distance. You could look at Capitan Suizo - www.hotelcapitansuizo.com/index.php?english or Arco Iris - http://www.hotelarcoiris.com/ maybe the diria - http://www.tamarindodiria.com/

Cheers

Inca

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
157 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best area for non-AI stay

I stayed at the Hotel Conchal in Brasillito and loved it. The small quaint hotel was one of the best traveling experiences I have had. I really enjoyed the small town of Brasillito, friendly locals and lots of good seafood restaurants. The restaurant at the Hotel Conchal was also absolutley amazing. Brasillito is also right next to Playa Conchal, so you can enjoy Brasillito beach or walk to Conchal beach. It is also within a few miles of both Playa Flamingo and Tamarindo beach.

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best area for non-AI stay

I would recommend a few locations with great eats, and very central:

Tamarindo

Samara

Montezuma

These are fun beach towns with everything at your fingertips.

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

California
Level Contributor
508 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: best area for non-AI stay

i would add Nosara (Playa Guiones) to your list. The Harmony Hotel has a great restaurant and is within walking distance to many great places to eat.

It is a beautiful hotel on a beautiful beach.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,936 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best area for non-AI stay

But overall...TAMARINDO...nice area and a lot to do...

roadadvisor

6. Re: best area for non-AI stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2010, 13:04
Toronto
Level Contributor
5,149 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best area for non-AI stay

thanks for the replies - looks like I have quite a bit of research to do

Is it advisable to rent a car? We like to visit the attractions on our own as it is a lot less expensive, but I'm concerned about road conditions and signage, not too mention local traffic.

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best area for non-AI stay

Another vote for Tamarindo. It has many great restaurants.

If you like to explore, it would be nice to have a car. There are several beaches both to the north and to the south that are fun to visit. It isn't necessary to have a car to get to the restaurants. Cabs are readily available if the restaurant isn't within walking distance to your hotel.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best area for non-AI stay

You may want to check out Santa Teresa/Mal Pais. The area has many choices for every range of accommodations and restaurants. The beaches are gorgeous and there is plenty enough to keep you occupied, or not depending on what you want to do. You will definitely need a vehicle whether you rent a vehicle when you arrive into the country, or fly to closest airport (Tambor) and rent a vehicle for you entire stay at that point, or only for a few days.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,936 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best area for non-AI stay

Rent a car...nice way to explore Costa Rica...of course you are going to get lost...we all do...that is Costa Rica...just common sense while you drive!

You will save money and time...GUARANTEE!

roadadvisor