We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Transport

Will be staying @ Riu in February 2011. Is there any form of transport in the area? I do not drive. How far from nearest towns(s)?

What is beach like for swimming?

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g309251-d115480…

Remote expensive cabs shuttles to get around...

beach not too white new hotel/rooms though

www.costarica.bookit.com better AI options like Paradisus Barcelo

www.hotelcapitansuizo.com best for non AI if no car walk to everything

in www.tamarindo... Have fun,

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport

Can I go topless on beach? What do you mean 'not too white'? I don't really mind about the colour, as long as I can swim! Is it black volcanic sand? Cheers.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport

The water is swimmable. I think qwo was just giving you a warning not to expect fine white sand as on some Caribbean islands. You can go topless on the beach if you are a man. And, yes, it is remote and expensive to get around.

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport

I am a well built middle aged female so I take it that means it is unacceptable to go topless. Do you have trouble with sand flies as I got eaten alive in Dominican Republic?

When you say expensive, like how much to nearest town or nearest bus stop please. Will they want local currancy or US$?

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
750 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport

It generally not accepted here to go topless. You'd prob be the only one... From time to time there can be sand flies but they're not a huge problem like in Belize. There are some sunscreens that have repellent in them. The nearest town is Coco; about 20-25 minutes away. A cab should be around $25 I would think. Both Colones or Dollars work.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,494 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport

Agree with Explore...you may be the only one topless on the beach...but is a huge beach...you can be there taking the sun and maybe a few people will noticed you...or take a boat to Manzanillo is the next beach inside of a private ranch...and I can almost guarantee that nobody is there...so nice and the sand quality is great...

By the way sand quality and color is not bad at all in Matapalo beach!

roadadvisor from Costa Rica and IN COSTA RICA

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport

Cheers lads and lassies. Don't want to do too many organized trips, esp. through travel rep as tend to be expensive and you are on a time schedule.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,494 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport

Great point by KATZI 1...good valid point!

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport

You don't have to set up tours ahead of time through a travel rep. Just wait until you get here and then you can decide. There will be tours or activities available through the hotel or you can contact a tour company on your own. Another form of transportation is through EcoTrans - www.ecotranscostarica.com. They also arrange tours - as does Xplore Costa Rica and Swiss Travel, among others.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport

need to hire local transport or cab, there is plenty of options but shop around, nearest town Coco