We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which beach to choose? Help needed!

Stockholm
Level Contributor
177 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Which beach to choose? Help needed!

Going to Guanacaste for around one week in January, after Tortuguero and Arenal, and can't make up my mind about where to stay, i e which beach; Hermosa, Panama, Flamingo, Conchal, Samará. Tamarindo and Coco are not on the list. Would appreciate your views. We have a child age 9, are looking for as white sand as possible, clear sea good for swimming, snorkelling, restaurant and bar options on walking distance. Are there usually any facilities on the beaches, like loungers? We would like a hotel with a pool, close to the beach. Might even consider all inclusive for a couple of nights; Paradisus is way too expensive though. Thanks for any advice.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,448 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which beach to choose? Help needed!

You can check Conchal Hotel...our good amigo from the forum DIVER can give you some more information...they even offer a full meals plan...and they have a pool...

Panama only one hotel around the beach there...mixed reviews...

Hermosa some good places to stay....tendency to charge to much for to little...

Samara is a good option,,,and with a good road is not hard to get there at all..

Of course Tamarindo...some nice hotels ...

A lot of condo options in and around Coco's beach..

Barcelo Playa Langosta small and not as expensive as Conchal...located at the Southern corner of Tamarindo beach...

Roadadvisor from Costa Rica and IN COSTA RICA!

Let me know if you may have any more questions!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which beach to choose? Help needed!

Once again I am confused as Tjongo said, "Hermosa, Panama, Flamingo, Conchal, Samará. Tamarindo and Coco are not on the list. " Maybe this was a typo and supposed to say "now on the list"?

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which beach to choose? Help needed!

I know many good recommendations will come... traveling with a 9 year old I would like to recommend this hotel in the area, its beach front, close to Flamingo and they have some units equipped with kitchen, which comes handy when traveling with children - as you can fix some meals in the room, keep beverages, etc... their website is www.potrerobay.com. Sand is clear but not white. Flamingo Beach is very close, and you are also close to Conchal and Brasilito beaches.

This is just one of the many options available... hope it helps...

Stockholm
Level Contributor
177 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which beach to choose? Help needed!

TA is really amazing, and so many helpful people following this forum. From what I've read, I'm not interested in Tamarindo and Playa Coco. Forgot to mention Ocotal as an option. We also plan to dive a couple of days, but when choosing accomodation we want to focus on the relaxing, swimming and snorkelling. We also enjoy good food and drinks. It should not be very secluded, we like to socialize...

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which beach to choose? Help needed!

Playa Conchal is one of the few sheltered beaches in this region, and can be good for snorkeling. Local sailing tours also find good spots for snorkeling on the afternoon sunset trips.

Great diving here at the Catalina Island. Flamingo (10 minutes from Conchal) is the closest point for departures, the boat journey time being around 20 minutes. This means you can get in 2 morning dives and be back by lunchtime.

More info at:

footprintscostarica.com/…

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which beach to choose? Help needed!

You can also look here for more information: www.nicoyapeninsula.com

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which beach to choose? Help needed!

I would highly recommend Playa Samara! The beach is very beautiful with lots to do, but without feeling touristy at all. When we were there we encountered a lot of locals and enjoyed the sense of visiting an authentic Costa Rican beach. At the same time, there are a lot of good restaurants and bars right on the beach (especially El Lagarto). There is good snorkeling around the small island just out from Playa Samara, and there are lots of opportunities for horseback riding along the beach (as well as taking longer rides to surrounding beaches).

There is really only one place to stay in Samara that is RIGHT on the beach - the Samara Tree House Inn. This hotel has four bungalows on stilts that are directly on the beach (as well as two other bungalows set just back from the beach that are at ground level). The hotel also has a small but very nice pool. The best part about this hotel is that each tree house has a bed room, kitchen and living room (and the two futon style couches in the living room could comfortably provide sleeping for kids - trust me - I napped there daily). Directly below each tree house is a private patio with a bbq, dining table, two loungers and two hammocks.

The sand on Playa Samara is not white - but just a few minutes south is the gorgeous and secluded white sand beach of Playa Carrillo. The hotel options in Carrillo are few (none right on the beach), and this beach has no restaurants, bars, etc. So staying in Samara and visiting Carrillo makes for a perfect combination.

Edited: 10 September 2010, 05:23
Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which beach to choose? Help needed!

www.ylangylangresort.com Montezuma

www.reservaconchal.com

2 best beaches on Paficic side for me

for powder white sand though go to Mex riviera/Belize/Carib

too much rivier run off not enough coral in CR

Tortuga Island www.zumatours.net off the coast nice white sand

Happy Hunting

9. Re: Which beach to choose? Help needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2011, 05:16