We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Conchal & Flamingo vs. Playa Samara

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
165 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Conchal & Flamingo vs. Playa Samara

How would you compare these two locations? As I've posted in another topic, we'll be in Guanacaste for 3 days between Arenal and Manuel Antonio. It appears that Conchal area is more popular than Samara and maybe nicer beaches? But getting to Samara from Arenal and then Samara to Manuel Antonio requires less driving, about 45 minutes to an hour less on each leg according to yourtravelmap.com. Please help! Also, are we crazy for not booking a place in advance for January 5th through 8th?

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Conchal & Flamingo vs. Playa Samara

Go to Samara. closer to MA and also some beautiful beaches near there.Carrillo, Garza, Playa Pelada, San Juanillo.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Conchal & Flamingo vs. Playa Samara

I also like Samara...nice more Costa Rican flavor...

roadadvisor

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Conchal & Flamingo vs. Playa Samara

Last time I took that road from Hwy 21 to Hwy 150 (last stretch to Samara), I remember that it was a grueling, long ride on a dirt road. If anyone knows if they fixed it chime in. And overall, I just see you driving a lot in a short-time.

Also, you should know, according to the web site yourtravelmap.com, the travel time from the La Fortuna area (very near Arenal) to Manuel Antonio is is 4.33 hours. The site says the travel time to Concahl Beach (very near Conchal) is 3.16 hours. Both of those travel times are much too low! At quick glance I don't see this site as being accurate in our area.

Arenal to Conchal (Near Tamarindo) is 5-hours

Arenal to Manuel Antonio is 6-hours

The Conchal/Tamarindo area is more popular with paved roads all the way from Arenal and connecting these two towns. Which one you should visit just depends on what you want.

To help you decide here is a video about the beach in Conchal:

tamarindocosta-rica.com/tamarindo/beaches/fl…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
165 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Conchal & Flamingo vs. Playa Samara

I'm indeed worried about the long drive from Arenal and back to Manuel Antonio, but really not sure where else I can drive to for 3 days.

5. Re: Playa Conchal & Flamingo vs. Playa Samara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2011, 05:53