We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Trip Advice

Eugene, OR
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Need Trip Advice

I will be traveling to Costa Rica soon for two weeks for our 2nd trip. We are staying at a time share in Playa del Coco for a week and prior to check-in we have two days and then after our stay we have another 4 days.

For the two days I was thinking Arenal, which I have been too once or should we check out another place, such as Cano Negro or another park? I was also thinking of Monteverde, but is there abundant wildlife? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

For the four days after Coco, I was thinking of going back to Samara, which I loved going too on our first trip. I would like to go to Montezuma, but sounds difficult and time consuming to get to. Should I stick with Samara or are there better places within four hours of the Liberia airport. I assume the Caribbean beaches are to far away. We will have a rental car so we can drive some, just don't want to spend the day driving.

Thanks for any help,

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Trip Advice

I think Arenal or Monteverde can be fun ...

Arenal and Caño Negro...more chances to see some great wild life!

I like the idea of Samara...

You can also check Rincon de la Vieja Volcano is only 2 hours from LIR...

If you are flying in at LIR...maybe from there to Arenal...3 hours almost 4...take the Caño Negro tour a full day tour...

Then to Coco´s...then from Coco´s to Samara ...and back to LIR...

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Trip Advice

Before going to Coco, you could consider heading to Rincon de la Vieja, Miravalles or Tenorio.

www.rincondelabieja.net

www.volcanoadventuretour.com

www.heliconiaslodge.com

I think that Rincon de la Vieja would be my pick. While you are at Playas del Coco, you can do day trips to Miravalles, Tenorio or Palo Verde and even Santa Rosa.

Or - since you will be spending time at the beach, use the two days for Samara and then end up at Arenal or Monteverde for your four days.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Trip Advice

When you say "better places" than Samara, what do you mean? What kind of town would you like to visit? The same or different? Activities? Etc..

Eugene, OR
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Trip Advice

Thanks for the responses, keep them coming. Can't wait for the trip.

Similar size, feel, nice beach and not too touristy, but with some stuff to do in town (restaurants, beach bars and grocery stores) and places close enough for day activities.

I will look into Rincon de la Vieja, I am geologists so volcanoes are always fun to check out.

I have a rental car so would it be better to drive directly to Cano Negro and they hire a boat, I heard it's cheaper. Do you have to go to the arenal area before going to Cano Negro?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Trip Advice

You can drive to Cano Negro from either "side" - from Arenal or from the Tenorio area.

Most people drive from Arenal. If you are heading to one of the northern Pacific beaches after Cano Negro, you can take the exit from the Park that goes to Upala and take Rt 6, a very good highway, to Rt 1, the PanAmerican Highway and on to the beach rather than go back to Arenal.

You can hire a boat and just go with the boat driver who probably won't speak English and is not a guide but will, nevertheless, point out the wildlife to you.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Trip Advice

I think that Hattie got one URL wrong , the correct one is www.rincondelavieja.net ,

consider a visit to the Rincon de la Vieja Volcano are prior or post your stay in Coco.

Portsmouth, Virginia
Level Contributor
276 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Trip Advice

Two ideas, Rio Celeste for a nice 4 hour hike to the waterfall and fumeroles, and Guaitil for crafts, both an easy day trip from Nicoya/Samara area---you'll want to get an early start for Rio Celeste.

Eugene, OR
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Trip Advice

How long of a drive to Cano Negro from Liberia? We are flying red-eye so we will be tired and don't want to drive more than a couple of hours, which may limit what we can do (hiking included).

Edited: 14 June 2011, 05:43
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Trip Advice

Similar question:

I will be spending a few days in Arenal and then a few days in Samara, and I'm looking for somewhere in between that would be good to spend a day or two on the way.

Rio Celeste caught my eye. Would this be doable?

Is there a public bus that goes from Arenal to Rio Celeste, and then Rio Celeste to Samara?

What would a taxi be from Arenal to Rio Celeste?

Any good hostels in the area?

Thanks!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Trip Advice

beer: from Liberia to Cano Negro is quite a drive - about 3.5 - 4 hours. There is good highway all the way until you get to the park entrance where you will go 15-20 km on a rock/gravel road and will need to slow down quite a bit. Not something I would recommend after getting off a plane.

emv8: The Rio Celeste is a river located in Tenorio National Park. There is no bus that goes there. You would have to go with a tour or by your own car. There is a village called Rio Celeste where you can get a bus from Guatuso but it is then almost 2 miles of walking, almost all of it uphill, to get to the entrance of the National Park for your hike to the Rio Celeste.

If you rent a car, you can drive from Arenal to the Park, hike the Rio Celeste, return to Arenal and take a bus from La Fortuna to Samara. For public bus information, check here - www.thebusschedule.com

As for hostels - there are several inexpensive "cabinas" (think hostels) in the area.