We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

heading to RIU in a few weeks...couple ?s

Dayton, Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
heading to RIU in a few weeks...couple ?s

I've never been out of the country. I was wondering about money. I've had people tell us to just bring credit cards but I just read that they charge an extra 8-10% fee for using credit cards usually. What should we bring for money?

Also, we definitely want to do a couple excursions while visiting. I have read about booking through the hotel and through private companies. Is this something we need to do before we go? Or can we wait and decide what we want to do when we get there? Thanks for you help. Very excited to spend our honeymoon in Costa Rica!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,716 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: heading to RIU in a few weeks...couple ?s

The 7% or 8% charge is for the merchant...not for the costumer...bring some USD in cash and exchange them at a local bank one in Costa Rica...not at any airport...

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
755 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: heading to RIU in a few weeks...couple ?s

Credit cards are widely accepted and there are ATMs everywhere. Yes, the merchants get hit for typically 4-5% and some will tack that extra onto the price of your tour. Don't be afraid to ask for discount if you're paying cash.

Excursions through the hotel will cost more than if you use private companies. Most hotel tour desks have to pay back commissions to the hotel in order to be there.

Book ahead or wait? - I'd say it depends on what time of year you'll be here and what activities you're talking about. Most things you can wait until you get here. During peak times there are some activities where availability sometimes becomes an issue; like fishing for example.

Do not bring travelers checks though. Nobody wants them.

Bring a mix of cash and plastic and make sure your bank knows that you'll be here so they don't freeze your card.

3. Re: heading to RIU in a few weeks...couple ?s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 02:16
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor