We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question about appropriate footwear for most tours

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
question about appropriate footwear for most tours

hi- we are a family traveling with school-age children and wondered what type of footwear would be most versatile for walking through rainforest/arenal volcano area during august (rainy season). Not sure about gym shoes vs. hiking boots vs. rainboots! any input is greatly appreciated as well as any other suggestions on clothing appropriate for touring the area during this season.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
339 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question about appropriate footwear for most tours

get keens they are sandels you can hike in that are waterproof and you can do any water activities in them they are pricey, but there are off brands too

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question about appropriate footwear for most tours

I agree 100%with the above post...that's what I always recommend. They are basically waterproof sandals that cover your toes and heels and have good soles for hiking. These are all kinds of brands. Here is a link to some on REI so you can see what we're talking about: rei.com/product/…keen-newport-h2-sandals-mens

I live here and I have all kinds of shoes (Tevas, etc) and these are by far the best...with the open toed sandals-I've banged up my toes going over rocks too many times. Bring the above and a pair of flip flops and you're done!

Enjoy!

Wendy, La Fortuna, CR

Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
514 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: question about appropriate footwear for most tours

Teva makes a closed toe and closed heel shoe similar to the Keen shoe. www.teva.com/productdetails.aspx…

You can also try at Sports Authority (if that is near you) as they had the Teva Deacon for $40/pair in adult sizes a week ago. I didn't want to spend a ton as I had to buy four pairs. My boys' feet are still growing so they won't fit by the next time we will need them.

If you think your children will wear the shoes again, Keen is the gold standard, according to Maine friends who live in them all summer.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question about appropriate footwear for most tours

Good question. I was wondering about this too. We have Keens, which are certainly cooler since they have the air flow. However I wondered (and this may sound silly) if it was a bad idea for bugs getting in. Don't laugh! I got stung once by a wasp flying into once of those holes in my crocs. I do know sand or small pebbles can get in, and your feet can get quite dusty in them, or muddy, as I found out stepping in a little mud getting into our canoe yesterday. I then had mud oozing between my toes. The treads are pretty good, but they do slide in mud. Luckily they rinse easy... but they take a bit to dry if it's humid. Overnight should do it though.

Would it be way too hot to wear light, running show style hiking boots and socks?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: question about appropriate footwear for most tours

I've heard if the socks get wet in a waterproof running shoe, there is no way for the water to get out....

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,047 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: question about appropriate footwear for most tours

I spend most of my younger years living around Arenal..we used to wear rubber boots...you can buy them almost anywhere in La Fortuna..

Also we used to wear and I do it until today...soft hiking boots..and some nice heavy socks..

roadadvisor

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: question about appropriate footwear for most tours

rubber boots here in costa rica are inexpensive, you should try them

Playa Flamingo...
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: question about appropriate footwear for most tours

I would go suggest a light hiking boot that covers part of your ankles if you are doing a lot of hiking. I once got bit by a bullet ant on my ankle, not venomous, just hurt REALLY bad.

You can wear these on the plane since they are heavier, and pack lighter water sandals. Arenal is spectacular, it makes me think of what the earth looked like before all us humans took over.

www.happierthanabillionaire.com

9. Re: question about appropriate footwear for most tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 12:18