We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If we loved Samara, what else would we love?

NYC
Level Contributor
92 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
If we loved Samara, what else would we love?

We're looking into spring vacations and there are super cheap flights from NYC to Liberia, so we thought we might take advantage. We've been to the Samara/Carillo area twice and would like to visit someplace new, but we have two small children, so having a relatively calm beach is key. We are NOT into partying and rather prefer someplace more local and laid back. Any suggestions are very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Sarah

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,060 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If we loved Samara, what else would we love?

Nosara could be an option or Playa Conchal is an awesome beach. I also like Montezuma for the "laid back" factor, but not the best beach there.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If we loved Samara, what else would we love?

Many options -- does your budget allow for a rental car?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,710 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If we loved Samara, what else would we love?

Hotel Sugar Beach on Playa Azucar in an isolated setting on a beautiful beach. You'll need a rental car to explore.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If we loved Samara, what else would we love?

Check out the Playa Conchal/Brasilito area. Several small beach towns along a coastal road ranging from the simple Brasilito to the more upscale Flamingo and easy to get back and forth to any of them by bus or taxi.

Take a look here footprintscostarica.com/footprints_hotels.php

I also recommend taking a look at Playa Azucar and the Sugar Beach Hotel. A bit isolated but a beautiful spot.

Santa Monica
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: If we loved Samara, what else would we love?

If you're looking for calm beaches and a relaxing atmosphere, you should check out http://www.casamaicol.com. It is tiny, hidden, and not very well-known since I know the owner prefers word of mouth references, but I thought it might at least be worth looking into.

Very family friendly - there are two cabinas. It is small and family-run, but they are lovely people. I stayed there for a month last March.

It is a little rustic, but if you're into that, both cabins have kitchens, bathrooms and showers and the owner is great. I stayed in Cabina Florcita by myself and it was a wonderful experience all in all:)

It lies between Playa Negra and Playa Avellanas. You can rent bikes, but everything is within walking distance. I had the owner pick me up at Liberia airport. I went carless the whole time and it was great. However, if you plan on exploring the area more, a car can't hurt.

NYC
Level Contributor
92 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If we loved Samara, what else would we love?

Wow, thanks for the great recs! I should have mentioned that wen will indeed have a car... Please keep the info coming!

Best,

Sarah

7. Re: If we loved Samara, what else would we love?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2011, 13:02
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,710 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If we loved Samara, what else would we love?

I love Santa Teresa too and the beaches are gorgeous stretching for miles. This is surfing territory however with monster waves so I'm not so sure I'd head there with small children.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,060 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If we loved Samara, what else would we love?

I was going to chime in about that, glad crfan did. Waves in the Mal Pais area are not for swimming and not for good for kids...

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If we loved Samara, what else would we love?

The area around Santa Teresa is great for surfing, but there are also some great spots that are safe for kids to play in tide-pools and also a safer, non-surfing beach at Playa Manzanillo just a short drive north from Santa Teresa. The area has a lot to offer for everyone and many activities to choose from. I would not hesitate to bring kids here, so don't let the young surfers keep you away.