We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Beach in Guanacaste?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Which Beach in Guanacaste?

Hello!!

I have narrowed it down to the Guanacaste region to spend our beach time but am a little confused as to which beach. I am a little nervous of Tamarindo as it seems super crowded and dirty from what I have read. Any reccommendations for us? We are looking for a nice calm beach, no big waves please, hopefully not too crowded and would like a hotel right on the beach with a nice pool. Around $200-$300 a night would be great.

Thanks for your help!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Beach in Guanacaste?

There are so many choices! Where to start.......

I would start looking here, actually -- anywherecostarica.com/destinations/…beach where you will find a really good description of many Costa Rican beaches.

Some places to look at would include http://www.resortflamingobeach.com/ or Sugar Beach Hotel or Pacifico in Playas del Coco. Where you stay kind of depends on how important it is for you to have a variety of night life. The beach website has excellent information and some good hotel suggestions.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Beach in Guanacaste?

The Flamingo Beach Resort would be a nice choice for you. The hotel is beach front, very nice beach. They have a plan with just breakfast or an all inclusive plan as well

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Beach in Guanacaste?

Mike, please read the requirement for 'calm beach' which the Beach resort does not have.

Great waves in front of the Beach Resort, which is a beautiful beach. A more sheltered beach at the Marina Resort, but consisting of darker sand, much smaller and not so nice IMO.

Best in the area would be Conchal which is a sheltered beach. You can look at the Westin which is currently showing at $345 per night, just a little over your budget.

www.westinplayaconchal.com/en/local-area

Edited: 05 November 2011, 16:16
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,905 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Beach in Guanacaste?

Dear Simon...

Thank you...thank you...GRACIAS you know the area well...

WESTIN Conchal is waiting for you...I do not think Flamingo is for you at least based on your post!

roadadvisor

Huacas, Guanacaste...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Beach in Guanacaste?

i like potrero beach: nice and clean little town, not crowd, not big waves, theres a couple hotels and several apartments on the beach, spectacular view of flamingo beach at nigth. close to everywhere. pretty cool.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Beach in Guanacaste?

Thanks everyone! Westin does sound amazing but when I looked it up for our dates it is coming at $532 a night.. yikes!

Are the waves at Playa Flamingo really big? That resort sounds great, I just got knocked pretty hard by 2 huge waves in Hawaii so I am a little leary of large waves at the moment but overall just a nice sand beach works. We also like to do the boat cruises/ catamarans and it looks like they have the harbor right in Playa Flamingo.

What about Playa Samara? A tour company mentioned it to me.. staying at the Gecko Verde?

Thanks again!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,905 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Beach in Guanacaste?

Dear AeRose52

Flamingo is a great beach...sometimes some crazy big wave may hurt you...a well known person on the tourism industry here in my country...was badly hurt by a crazy wave...and he is a great swwimer great strong person..

Of course I´m not trying to scare you or any body...just like to be responsible and let you know...some Travel Agents will said anything to make a sale!

By the way...if you take advice or work with any Travel Agent or Tour operator here in Costa Rica ...

Please be sure to ask them to ID themselves...and to show or tell you the ICT number our Secreatry of Tourism certifications...some will tell you some Chambers numbers...good Chambers some of them... but they are not the Costa Rica Govermmnet...ICT...if they do not have ICT good chances that you can be dealing with a no very nice person or company!!!!

roadadvisor

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Beach in Guanacaste?

Samara is a great beach with small waves, no probelm swimming there. I am not familiar with the hotel you mention, but for great hotel right ON the beach, look at Tree House Inn! Less than your budget, in the middle of everything and very nice.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Beach in Guanacaste?

There is a cove at the southern part of Flamingo beach which is calmer, you could take a look at The Palms vacation rental units as an alternative to the hotel. It will be much less crowded than the resort and the pool is beautiful too.

http://www.palmscostarica.com/

Reviews on various units on Tripadvisor, also on VRBO.

10. Re: Which Beach in Guanacaste?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2011, 18:48