We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day in Nicaragua from Playa Hermosa- who to use?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Day in Nicaragua from Playa Hermosa- who to use?

From looking at older posts in this forum, it seems like a lot of people think a day trip to Nicaragua from Guanacaste is a bad idea. Even though it's a long drive, and we won't have enough time to see everything, and there's plenty to do in Costa Rica, we are seriously considering doing a tour to Granada.

What company should we use for this? Has anyone here done this before? Are there any specific companies we should avoid?

Thank you!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
290 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day in Nicaragua from Playa Hermosa- who to use?

I do not know who to recommend, but I will say that in the long run it is going to be a trip that you will not enjoy. Get the most out of that day in Costa Rica. You will spend way too much time in the car and crossing the border. We took a side trip to Granada on our last trip to Costa Rica and we spent a week there. There was still plenty to see when we left. I loved Granada and plan on going back.

On our first trip to Costa Rica we tried to do the day trip, but could not get booked. After going this last time, I am very thankful after experiencing the drive and time it took to get across the border. I would say we did the border crossing fairly quickly at 30-40 minutes, but that is still over an hour that you lose. By the end of the day you will be exhausted, and in reality you will not have seen very much at all.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day in Nicaragua from Playa Hermosa- who to use?

Is there an alternative trip you'd recommend? We're going to have 3-4 days in Playa Hermosa, and we probably don't want to spend all that time at the beach. Maybe somewhere a little closer within Costa Rica?

Thanks!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day in Nicaragua from Playa Hermosa- who to use?

Visit one of the National Parks: Rincon de la Vieja, Santa Rosa, Miravalles, Tenorio, Palo Verde. www.costarica-nationalparks.com

Take a boat trip to Witch's Rock for surfing or just relaxing on a deserted beach

Take a rafting trip on the Rio Colorado or the Rio Tenorio

Check out the great activities at Guachipelin or Buena Vista Lodge

There's tons of stuff to do 2 hours or less from Playa Hermosa. Really not a good idea to do a day trip to Nicaragua.

4. Re: Day in Nicaragua from Playa Hermosa- who to use?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2013, 10:23