We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM- what are charges

CALI
Level Contributor
427 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
ATM- what are charges

i have citibank debit card-found out no citibank atms in costa rica

also have discover, amex, mastercard

if i want to bring as little cash, and take money once every 3 days, what are ATM charges?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM- what are charges

ATM charges will vary depending on the ATM but typically run $1.50-$3.00

Be sure to notify your credit card company that you are going to be using your card in Costa Rica otherwise it will trigger a security alert. Also check to see which card charges the lowest international fee, if any. Of the cards you have, Mastercard will be the most useful and most accepted at ATM's.

There are ATM's all over Costa Rica and most will give you either dollars or colones. I'm surprised that Citibank doesn't list any ATM's in Costa Rica. There is a big Citibank in Liberia that has an ATM. On the back of your Citibank card, is there any kind of logo like Cirrus?

CALI
Level Contributor
427 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM- what are charges

I went to citibank website, they list 30 countries with "no fee" ATM and Costa Rica was not one of them.

I did instant chat with citibank and they confirmed costa rica does not offer "no fee" atms for usa citibank customers

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM- what are charges

OK - so you are looking for "no fee" ATM's and not just any ATM that will take your Citibank card. I think you can expect to pay some kind of fee at pretty much every ATM. It might only be a dollar.

If your Citibank debit card is associated with Visa or Mastercard, you should be able to use it in any ATM that has the Visa or Cirrus logo - there are many of these.

CALI
Level Contributor
427 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM- what are charges

Besides the $1/$2/$3 fee, would the ATM take a %.

I am referring to debit card, not a credit card

in usa, debit card just takes a $1/$2/$3 fee per transaction, and not a $, is it same in costa rica

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,208 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM- what are charges

There are often 3 fees associated with ATM withdrawls.

Your bank will take whatever their per transaction flat fee is for foreign withdrawls. In Canada most banks charge $5.00 However there are some that charge less. There are also some banks and credit unions that have certain accounts where they waive or refund the transactions fees. (I have heard people mention Charles Schwab and Capital One - but I have no experience) Besides that most banks seem to add a percentage fee for conversion on all foreign currency transactions. We recently got an update in the mail from one of our banks and on there they listed all the ATM charges. So for the information you have to check with your bank.

In addition, only starting in the last 2 years or less, the Costa Rican banks have been adding a fee a bit under $2 to each transaction. We found it when we used BAC Banco de Costa Rica, BCR and Scotiabank machines. We did not seem to be charged that one when we used the Banco Nacional machines (However those things seem to change so I suspect they will charge it too soon if they aren't aleady.)

You are better off using a debit card as opposed to a credit card. For credit cards, as well as the transaction fees and currency conversion fees etc. since the transaction is a cash advance, it starts accruing interest immediately. Again check with your card companies on their policies and rates as they vary from company to company.

In general the less withdrawls you make, the less fees you will pay. Different machines have different transaction limits. Some are as low as $100,000 colones but some more. This amount is not the same as your daily limit set by your bank. Since most are higher, you often can make several withdrawls in a day- but pay the applicable charges each time.

All this said, the rates you end up getting are still better than the rates you get if you exchange $$ at the foreign exchange booth at the airports. If you are exchanging dollars, you will get the best rates at a real bank.

pura vida

raquel

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM- what are charges

The ATM does not take a percentage. Your bank or credit card company may have an international transaction fee that is a percentage, but not the ATM. The only fee for the ATM will be the $1-$3 fee for each transaction.

As for whether your ATM transaction is treated like a cash withdrawal or what the charges are - this varies from card to card. You will have to check with your bank or card company to see what they charge and how they handle ATM transactions.

Capital One cards, for instance, don't have a international transaction fee and don't charge interest on an ATM withdrawal.

7. Re: ATM- what are charges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2013, 10:24