We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation for a 10th Anniversary Trip

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
129 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendation for a 10th Anniversary Trip

The expertise/experience of the forum would be much appreciated.

My wife and I are hoping to take a special trip for our 10th anniversary...with our kids (3 and 5) and parents (two couples around 60).

We're reasonably seasoned travelers who have been to Costa Rica (Puntarenas) before and to All Inclusives in Cancun, D.R., Jamaica, and Cozumel.

I realize that it's hard to find a "perfect" resort, but we're pretty low maintenance and would like to find the best combination of the following:

-We'd like the resort to be less than an hour via taxi from Liberia airport. We've done the 2-hour-plus cab ride before in C.R. and don't want to do it with two little ones this time around.

-On-site wildlife (monkeys, iguanas, crabs, etc) for the kids is highly desirable. We don't want to have to take an $80/person excursion for the kids to see wildlife.

-We want to stay "All Inclusive".

-We can't afford to go $2000 USD/person (non-AI) in an effort to price ourselves out of unruly behavior...but at the same time, I'd rather pay a few extra dollars and not contend with the large intoxicated families (mom and dad partying with underage teenagers and thinking it's cute) during our stay. This will be our first "real" trip with the kids, and I'd like for us to be someplace family-friendly and classy.

-We're willing to sacrifice in terms of sand/water...I realize this isn't the Caribbean side...I think the kids would do just fine playing in the gentle gulf waters.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated:

A) The Hilton Papagayo looks really nice, but I worry about our 60-year-old parents with all the hills/slopes. Everything else looks nice...how "extreme" is the hills/shuttle situation?

B) The J.W. Mariott Guanacaste looks nice, but I keep reading reviews about "how expensive the food is". Is this resort not truly A.I.? Are people ordering off of the "specialty" menus and incurring bills voluntarily?

C) The RIU Guanacaste looks like it would meet our needs nicely...my only reservation is the immense size of the resort. Maybe that would actually be a "good" thing in terms of being able to move away from anyone intoxicated.?

D) Very "mixed" reviews from Occidental Grand Papagayo and Barcelo Langosta. We're not snobby travelers at all, but the last thing I want is to spend another week with continually intoxicated revelers screaming "Roll Tide, Roll!" from 7:00 A.M. - 2:00 A.M. Costa Rica is far from Cancun, I know...but is this a situation in which I'lll wish I had spent a few more dollars?

Thanks again and happy travels! :) Pura Vida!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendation for a 10th Anniversary Trip

The JW Mariott is a great deluxe hotel however it is not an all inclusive property. They normally only sell it with breakfast and additional fees for other meals which are expensive. To see wildlife and nature you need to get out of the all inclusive hotels and take one or 2 day tours such as: the Palo Verde boat tour and Guatil pottery, another one is the Corobici River float, Santa Rosa national Park there are some hiking tours as well but all the good tours are not close to any all inclusive.

Edited: 12 March 2012, 18:53
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
129 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendation for a 10th Anniversary Trip

Thanks...I see that designation now for the Mariott.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendation for a 10th Anniversary Trip

Hum...I have heard that Capitaz Suizo in Tamarindo has an all-inclusive package. If this I true, I'd stay there in a heartbeat. In fact, I'd stay there anyway! It's got a great pool for kids as it's a 'beach entrance' pool.

4. Re: Recommendation for a 10th Anniversary Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 07:17