We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa rica with family

C K
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Costa rica with family

Hi there

We are a family of 4 who will be travelling to Costa rica. We will be there for 2 weeks at the end of Nov - Dec. Flying into Liberia. Our kids are 7yo girl and 3yo boy. We are tossing around lots of ideas right now. Prefer small - med size B&Bs We want to see volcanoes, beaches, jungle and are open to any ideas for kid friendly activities.

Thinking of renting a car for all or part. Any ideas or tips would be appreciated.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa rica with family

Dear CK

Great idea rent a car...and hit the road!

Maybe some time around Rincon de la Vieja Volcano ...stay at Hotel Hacienda Guachipelin...a lot to see and do for a young family like yours...also the volcano is very active now days...maybe you can even see a nice eruption...

Then drive to a beach like Tamarindo a lot of nice small places to stay...another great beach Samara a little far from Liberia but worth the drive...check Nosara as well and maybe a visit to Ostional beach to see the turtles...incredible numer of turtles arriving almost every night!

roadadvisor

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa rica with family

I would suggest 2 nts in the Rincon de La Vieja area, 3-4 nights at the Arenal Volcano area, 2 nts at the Montverde Cloud Forest area and the rest a a beach in Guanacaste Tamarindo, Flamingo or Samara.

Kensington...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa rica with family

Try checking out the Sky Bungalow rental near Arenal Volcano. We are taking our 2 young children there this summer. It is an apt. on a working farm, and has lots to do for young children, including horseback riding, private waterfall, hiking, animals, etc.

As Roadadvisor suggested, we are also heading to Samaram, as it seems to be a nice area for kids. If you want seperate rooms at a good price, you might check out Villas Kalimba or Villas Pepitas. We are gtting a 2 BR villa for a very reasonable price.

C K
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costa rica with family

Thanks for the quick reply's. I have not heard of rincon de la vieja before, I will google it. We would like to hit San Jose as well for a day or 2 to see the children's museum and visit a friend and just wander around. Does anyone know of a beach where the rip tide isn't a killer. Also any thoughts on driving to San Jose or maybe busing in from the coast. I went there 15 years ago and seem to remember the driving was a bit chaotic , to put it mildly.

Again, thanks for the responses. We will probably have a hundred more questions before we finalize our itinerary.

Cheers

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Costa rica with family

If you are going to San Jose at the end consider the beaches in Manuel Antonio instead of the beaches in Guanacaste as you would be closer. to get to San jose you can rent a car, used the shared shuttles with Interbus or grey line or hire a private driver.

Edited: 25 May 2012, 17:59
guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costa rica with family

If driving is a concern hire a private transfer, like tucanlimoservices.com , there are some things to see around San jose, like a coffee tour, like the gold museum (one of the best 3 in America), there are some other nice things to see around like , Inbio Park , that is nice for kids,

as for your 2 weeks, yes Rincon de la Vieja, Monteverde, Arenal , Manuel Antonio are good options, you are missing some of the beaches in Guanacaste, like Flamingo, Conchal or Tamarindo, it could be nice for your 7 year old to take a surf lesson, and maybe a visit to Ostional to observe turtles,

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Costa rica with family

These are great ideas. I'm planning to return next year with my two little ones who will be 6 & 4 yrs. We're hoping to hit the Arenal area and Manuel Antonio area this time around, with a stop in San Jose to spend time with family.

I'll be keeping an eye on this post for any other suggestions!

8. Re: Costa rica with family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 08:42