We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IPad with 3G

Ontario
Level Contributor
364 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
IPad with 3G

Hi.

Has anyone ever bought a local Sim card fr use with an Ipad.

Thinking of using it as my GPS

Regards

Mike

Ontario
Level Contributor
364 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IPad with 3G

bump

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
591 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: IPad with 3G

I haven't done it local, I've previously activated the international data plan from AT&T on my iPhone and it works very good. (The rates aren't bad these days).

The maps that are in iOS 6 do NOT have good coverage of Costa Rica. At least the areas outside the city that I've looked at. Especially the lower Nicoya peninsula.

Plus, if you are somewhere with no cell coverage you've got no maps...

What area are you going to?

If you pre-cached your maps with an app like Galileo, you'd have decent maps, but it's not a GPS, it's just maps. Your iPad GPS should still work without a data plan. My iPhone GPS worked even the times I didn't have the data turned on.

There are some Costa Rica GPS apps, but I think the reviews are lacking. iGo seems best but it's $49... You could just get the Garmin maps.

I've bought Garmin maps from these folks before (and brought my garmin handheld) and been pretty happy with them. http://www.navsatcr.com/carro/

Gary

Ontario
Level Contributor
364 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: IPad with 3G

Thanks Gary

Think I'm going to let my son look after this!

Mike

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
591 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: IPad with 3G

I'll be curious what you find out about it for the data. Please let us know after your trip.

The people at the airport weren't to helpful the last time I asked, they acted like their plans were just calls, but I think you can turn on data via a text message but they charge per kb. There are SO many other competitors around in Costa Rica they just opened everything up last year so you've got options.

There are some web sites they sell international cards too (but I never used them).

Gary

Ontario
Level Contributor
364 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: IPad with 3G

Galileo looks promising. Think I will check for data plans when I get there and let you know

Thanks

Mike

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,373 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: IPad with 3G

I can tell you a bit about data on phones with prepaid ICE KOLBI SIM cards. I don't know if it applies to Ipads. Data is available. You have to configure your phone. The instructions are on the Kolbi website. They may help you at the airport or an ICE office orgive you a sheet of paper with instructions. All I can remember is that the apn is kolbi3g. You can get data and pay by the minute without doing anything special.. It is very cheap - less than a colon per minute - but slow. But mine might be slower than others as my phone is only GSM not 3g. Or you can send a text to 6060 and in the body for a day write dia. It costs 300 colones for unlimited all day.. Or you can get for periods of a week or 2 or a month. I think the longer periods also give you a higher speed. I have just been using it once and a while by the minute because so much of the time I am somewhere where there is wi fi. As I said not sure if all this even applies to ipads. But it does to smart phones or even not so smart phones... raquel

7. Re: IPad with 3G

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 November 2012, 03:08
8. Re: IPad with 3G

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2013, 10:16