We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very CONFUSED-Ready to give up

columbus
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Very CONFUSED-Ready to give up

Planning family vacation with our adult children and significant others(5 adult children 22-28 years old) We are locked into going the middle of May due to school/jobs. I REALIZE it is the start of green season. Is it worth taking the chance that it may rain alot(which we would hate) or should I be checking into some other island? I have such MIXED info from my research- to it is the beginning, there will be little rain-to it could pour for several hours every afternoon. Is it true the further north you go the drier? But research says this doesn't apply to Nicoya area?!?!?!? It is wetter yet???? If it looks like its a go-I'm conflicted between Guanacaste and Puntarenas areas. Want to rent a secure private home on beach(can find plenty both areas that time of year) Kids love the water, are very novice surfers-BUT it sounds like further north the waves are killer starting in May. But central area we risk more rain?? We want to spend time on the beach,enjoy LOTS of sun, do the typical tours and have areas with in short driving distance to eat. I thought I had the Santa Teresa-Mal Pais area nailed down, now I'm finding more reports that its very surfer oriented and very "surferish" About ready to start researching other islands-but it seems like there is soooo much to do on CR. I would appreciate some solid, knowledgeable info to help me decide if we should go or look elsewhere

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Very CONFUSED-Ready to give up

Not sure what you're researching because Costa Rica is not an island. It is located above Panama and below Nicaragua in Central America. The Nicoya Peninsula is the driest area of Costa Rica and there really isn't much rain anytime of the year. Here is a link to weather charts in the area.

http://wowtamarindo.com/weather/

There is lots of surfing going on, but there are also lots of other activities. Suggest you have a conversation with a vacation rental expert in our area.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very CONFUSED-Ready to give up

Agree totally with Surfsponge...May is a great month to visit us...you may find some rain...but not the whole day long... just maybe nice casual showers...for us natives May by tradition is a great month...nothing to worry about it!

Thank you also for the clarification...about our geographical location..not an island maybe you were checking at Puerto Rico!

roadadvisor

columbus
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Very CONFUSED-Ready to give up

Sorry-Mainly vacation on islands-have looked at reg. map of C.R. a million times and realize your location but since I'm mainly looking at beach areas-my mind converts to island. Have looked at that rainfall map several times as well-just wishing it said something different-but looks like 1/4 inch a day and a marked decrease in sunshine. I have emails into a few property owners but I'm thinking it may be too big of a risk on the weather for us-thanks for your prompt reply.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,083 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very CONFUSED-Ready to give up

I do agree with your decision. If white sand beaches and gentle rolling waves are your vacation preferences then there are many other places more suited to fulfill this then Costa Rica. Weather will be good. Even in the height of rainy (a.k.a. green) season it does not rains too much, like monsoon much.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very CONFUSED-Ready to give up

If you are looking for secure homes , contact http://bluewaterpropertiesofcostarica.com/ or http://milagrorentalscostarica.com/

Costa Rica is great in May, great rates and the place will be just for you.

Don't worry about rain, it doesn't rain much and rain is not cold as it is up north.

Consider Guanacaste flying in/out LIR.

Pura Vida

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very CONFUSED-Ready to give up

The rainy season is a great time to come to Costa Rica as there are way less tourists and prices are cheaper for car rental and accommodation. Try to plan your days around a fairly early rise and action in the mornings when you are likely to have the best weather and afternoons when it could rain, as siesta, hammock, reading etc. time. VRBO is a great site for rentals all around the country. Maybe Montezuma would suit you better as you are still a short distance from Santa Teresa/Mal Pais but the vibe is laid back rather than very surfy.

Don't give up; you'll have a great time!

7. Re: Very CONFUSED-Ready to give up

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 February 2013, 21:37
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Very CONFUSED-Ready to give up

Cindy: There's nothing wrong with Flamingo. Of course, someone in Tamarindo would tell you that Tamarindo was better!

Flamingo is much quieter than Tamarindo with fewer restaurants - although a good assortment. You can visit any of the small beach towns nearby.

Tamarindo is very developed with more than 60 restaurants to choose from. It is popular with foreigners and does not have anything authentic about it.

If you are looking for upscale lodging with nightlife and a large assortment of restaurants, Tamarindo would be better.

I would just look at Trip Advisor Vacation Rentals or Homeaway or VRBO for whichever location you choose and then forget whether it's a home or condo or villa --- just get the one that fits your needs as far as space, etc.

As for your hiking and zip lines - Flamingo is closer to these activities but Tamarindo is not really far. You can do those two things - and many more - in the Rincon de la Vieja area. Take a look at this: http://www.guachipelin.com/one-day-pass.html

Guachipelin is very near the Rincon de la Vieja National Park where there are several trails of various lengths for hiking.

I hope this helps, but if not, keep asking!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Very CONFUSED-Ready to give up

I'd take a house in Flamingo over a condo in Tamarindo any day. There are some really nice houses in Flamingo for rent.

10. Re: Very CONFUSED-Ready to give up

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 February 2013, 21:37