We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip or overnight?

Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip or overnight?

My husband and I are going to CR in June. We plan to stay at Conchal Hotel Sat-Tues to dive for 3 days and then have an event at the Four Seasons Th evening-Sun. What would be good to do on Wed and Th daytime? Would it be best to drive and stay overnight one night some where like Ricon de la Vieja? We've been to Arenal before so aren't interested in going there again. We ziplined as well so are more interested in hiking, seeing animals,etc.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip or overnight?

I would highly recommend taking a trip to Rincon de la Vieja. An easy drive from Conchal and then back to the 4 Seasons. Great hiking, lots of wildlife, hot springs etc. You'll have a great time, and we are looking forward to welcoming you to Conchal!

http://www.blueriverresort.com/

http://www.guachipelin.com/

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip or overnight?

Rincon de la Vieja Volcano is active and interesting. This might be a good option, overnight or for the day is your choice, both options are interesting, many places where to stay in Rincon

Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip or overnight?

Does it make sense to go Wednesday from Brasilito to Palo Verde then on to Rincon de la Vieja for Wed evening/ Th daytime then to the Four Seasons? Anywhere neat to stay along the way from Palo Verde to Rincon or would Palo Verde not take a full day?

Thanks for the help!

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip or overnight?

I would suggest heading straight to Rincon without the detour, Palo Verde is a little out of the way. Maybe with some more time....

Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip or overnight?

Always need more time...

Skipping Palo Verde makes staying at Hotel Borinquen more attractive-having more time to enjoy the resort and to drive to the park since the hotel isn't at the entrance like Hacienda Guachipelin. Guachipelin seems to offer a lot of activities I don't see us participating and and Borinquen rooms and food sound better from the reviews.

Our first trip to CR was too jam packed. More time in less places this trip:)

Thanks for the advice!

Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip or overnight?

Simon, I see you put Blue River and Guachipelin in your post but no Borinquen. Any particular reason you wouldn't recommend it? It looks like Blue River is pretty far from the park...

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip or overnight?

Both Blue River and Borinquen are adjacent to the National Park but not anywhere near the entrance. Blue River is very isolated. Look on a map of the area and look for Dos Rios and it is near there. So to get to the entrance of the National Park, you need to head back to Rt 1 (a rough, gravel road), go north and then head to the Park entrance through the town of Curubande.

In my opinion, the best option is the One Day Adventure Pass at Guachipelin. Hotel Guachipelin is very near the entrance to the National Park and you can overnight there and spend some time with their Activity Center as well as hiking in the National Park.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip or overnight?

Absolutely nothing wrong with Borinquen, I was just giving you a couple of ideas to get started. Have fun!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip or overnight?

I agree with you Simon, nothing wrong with Borinquen - it's a nice place. I just wanted to be clear about the location and access to the National Park. It is possible to go into the National Park from Borinquen - I think they mostly do this by horseback. But it is not anywhere close to the main entrance.

Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip or overnight?

We will have a car so I think the drive will be ok. We survived the drive out of Arenal every day when we stayed at the Arenal Observatory Lodge. Well we did get a flat tire one day...but that was part of the adventure:)