We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which beach town?

Rahway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
325 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Which beach town?

Tamarindo, Playas del Coco, or Playa Hermosa?

My friend will want to scuba dive. I will snorkel and swim a bit. We would like a lot of good restaurants, especially authentic Costa Rican food, bars, and nightlife. I like walkable towns. We don't love super touristy areas but if that's the trade off in order to find a lot to do, it's understandable.

I have read other posts and see pros/ cons to all 3 places. I know Tamarindo is a little further from Liberia airport but that's OK.

Do any of the 3 jump out as a clear choice, given what we like & want to do?

Kingsport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which beach town?

Coco is the busiest with shops and restaurants. Playa Hermosa is the quiet area with good restaurants and lots of beach bars. Ocotal is more remote but has two good restaurants. You will find good snorkeling non existent on the Pacific side; we took our gear but that was a waste. Fishing, however, is great as is diving.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which beach town?

For "decent" snorkeling, you will need to go offshore. You won't find reefs full of colorful coral and colorful fishes, but you will find fish, rays, turtles and often dolphins and sharks.

There are a number of boats that do the snorkeling trips, including the Sea Bird.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which beach town?

http://www.richcoastdiving.com/ in coco can help you with the snorkeling trip

Coco has the 3 options

if you want a break from the beach you can do a day trip to Rincon de la Vieja Volcano , active and fun with lots of adventures and waterfalls

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which beach town?

Not really the place for snorkeling, def not for scuba diving unless you want to spend a ton.

However I think Tamarindo ticks all your other boxes. Really good night life and good restaurants - if you like sushi then Bamboo Sushi Club is absolutely fantastic!

5. Re: Which beach town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2014, 06:19