We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for overnight spot between Manuel Antonio and LIR

Chicago
9 posts
Save Topic
Looking for overnight spot between Manuel Antonio and LIR

We are driving with our two kids (ages 8 and 5) from Manuel Antonio to Liberia on 4/5 to fly out of LIR on 4/6. I am looking for a place to stay the night that gets us somewhat closer to Liberia so that the drive to LIR is a reasonable distance that we can do the next morning. Our flight on 4/6 is at 1:00 pm. We will not have time for much, but it would be nice to find a place on the way that gives us some level of comfort/interest. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Liberia Airport
Liberia Airport
Liberia, Costa Rica
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Liberia
Liberia
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
636 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for overnight spot between Manuel Antonio and LIR

We stayed at El Velero in Playa Hermosa. Easy drive to LIR the next day and hotel was right on the beach. It's not a hotel that I would stay for several nights at but a great location for quick access to the airport. We too had kids (teens) with us so were able to book 2 rooms for a very reasonable cost. Rooms were a good size - a bit rundown but clean. Pool wasn't usable while we were there but I'm assuming that was only temporary.

Edited: 18 March 2013, 16:00
Mentioned in this post
Hotel El Velero
Hotel El Velero
447 Reviews
Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica
Playa Hermosa
Playa Hermosa
770 Reviews
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for overnight spot between Manuel Antonio and LIR

I would recommend either Las Juntas de Abangares --http://www.moon.com/destinations/costa-rica/guanacaste-and-the-northwest/the-southern-plains/las-juntas-de-abangares

or -- stop in Canas. Canas is a bit further from Manuel Antonio but closer to the airport. For your flight at 1 pm, you should plan on being in the area NO LATER than 9:30 am in order to turn in your car and get to the airport, pay your Departure Tax and stand in line to check in.

Canas is about an hour - hour and a half from the airport and Las Juntas is about 2-2.5 hours.

In Canas, you could stay at La Pacifica which is a beautiful place and also a working farm.

Edited: 18 March 2013, 16:01
Mentioned in this post
Hotel La Pacifica
Hotel La Pacifica
205 Reviews
Canas, Costa Rica
Canas
Canas
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for overnight spot between Manuel Antonio and LIR

As for Maneul Antonio I'd recomend a place like http://www.sicomono.com/ which is not only nice but it is easily accesible and you shouldn't have much trouble finding your way after staying there.

Chicago
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for overnight spot between Manuel Antonio and LIR

Thanks. We are covered at Manuel Antonio at the Parador from Monday to Friday. It was a toss up with Si Como No and I can't recall why I opted for Parador. Before going to Manuel Antonio we will be in Monteverde. We have two young boys and opted for the touristy options. Hopefully that works out OK.

Another question, can I get by without a 4x4 this time year?

Mentioned in this post
Parador Resort and Spa
Parador Resort and Spa
2,687 Reviews
Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Monteverde
Monteverde
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
735 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for overnight spot between Manuel Antonio and LIR

You absolutely can get by with out a 4x4, but you'll enjoy the extra clearance, especially on the roads to and around Monteverde.

If you leave Manuel Antonio early enough, why not go all the way to Hacienda Guachipelin and enjoy some of the activities and adventures there, before heading to the airport the next day some 90 minutes or so away...

Alternately, Playa Hermosa was a good call.

Personally, there's not much along the highway or near by of interest to you and two young kids... Sure you can stay near Canas or Bagaces or Liberia, but I wouldn't recommend that over a little more driving to a spot you'll really enjoy for your last day.

Mentioned in this post
Hacienda Guachipelin
Hacienda Guachipelin
1,490 Reviews
Rincon de La Vieja, Costa Rica
Playa Hermosa
Playa Hermosa
770 Reviews
Monteverde
Monteverde
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Canas
Canas
Bagaces
Bagaces
Liberia
Liberia
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for overnight spot between Manuel Antonio and LIR

Frankly, I wouldn't want to make the long drive from Manuel Antonio to either Rincon de la Vieja or Playa Hermosa with children. I think it's a smart idea to break up the trip. (And retain everyone's sanity.....)

In Canas, you can visit Las Pumas Wildlife Rescue Center which is very close to La Pacifica as well as take a float trip on the Corobici River. Either of these "excursions" are less than a mile from La Pacifica.

In Las Juntas de Abangares, you can visit the gold mine museum, among other things, and just enjoy an afternoon in an authentic, non-touristy town.

Manuel Antonio to Canas is 3.75 hours whereas to Rincon de la Vieja it's just under 5 hours and to Playa Hermosa, it's over 5 hours. Anyone who thinks that's a good idea hasn't ridden in a car with a 5-year-old!

Edited: 18 March 2013, 20:17
Mentioned in this post
Hotel La Pacifica
Hotel La Pacifica
205 Reviews
Canas, Costa Rica
Playa Hermosa
Playa Hermosa
770 Reviews
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Rincon de La Vieja
Rincon de La Vieja
Canas
Canas
Chicago
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for overnight spot between Manuel Antonio and LIR

Are there areas in and around Moteverde that we will not be able to access without a 4x4? We will not be doing any off-roading. We just want to be able to get to the usual activities around the area. If we cannot drive the rental car, are there other transit options?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for overnight spot between Manuel Antonio and LIR

You can access Monteverde without 4x4 - but not really recommended. Otherwise, you can use one of the shared van shuttles or hire a private driver.

Mentioned in this post
Monteverde
Monteverde
guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for overnight spot between Manuel Antonio and LIR

Monteverde would be to many hours up and down the mountain

Mentioned in this post
Monteverde
Monteverde
10. Re: Looking for overnight spot between Manuel Antonio and LIR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2014, 06:16