We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort Suggestions

Michigan
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Resort Suggestions

My husband and I are planning a 9 day trip to Costa Rica in mid December. Please give us suggestions on where to stay. Here are some of our preferences: 1) All inclusive. 2) A resort that has a safe area to run (my husband likes to run 5-8 miles a day.) 3) A place where we can do a few trips to explore the "real" Costa Rica that don't require hours of traveling. 4) A beach with swimmable water (an area with good snorkeling would be great.) 5) And finally, most importantly...an area that I can see a monkey in the wild!!!! Thank you!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort Suggestions

I suggest the Westin Playa Conchal.

All-Inclusive (many people think it's the best in the country)

Safe area to run -- will probably have to run to Playa Brasilito. Take a look at this map: guanacastetogo.com/conchal-costa-rica/map/ He can also run along the road that leads from Playa Brasilito to Flamingo and Potrero. It's gravel but pretty wide.

You can do the Palo Verde boat trip - www.paloverdeboattours.com and visit Rincon de la Vieja National Park - the one-day adventure tour at Hotel Guachipelin is great. Also - that whole beach area is pretty "authentic" and not too touristy. It's easy to visit some other places such as the town of Guatil for Chorotega pottery or little towns such as Huacas which is not touristy at all.

You should be able to see "monkeys in the wild" in that area (but no guarantees!) Of course, you will see monkeys on the Palo Verde boat trip.

Edited: 27 May 2013, 19:54
Wayne, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Playa Conchal
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort Suggestions

Hattie is, as usual spot on with her suggestions. For running, I would stay off the paved, traffic roads. My suggestion is to run the back, packed dirt roads that you can access by going out to the beach and turning left, away from Brazilito. There are a lot of back country roads back there, look at Google earth to get a sense and make a plan.

Michigan
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort Suggestions

Thank you! I appreciate the information!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
734 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort Suggestions

I'll just say I agree that the Westin is the best AI. And the beach is generally very good for swimming, although it's a very steep grade into the water and when there's any swell, well, that first step's a b*tch. The Hilton Papagayo is also a very good AI, and the water there is much calmer, although the beach isn't any where near as pretty.

Finally, if you'd forgo an All-Inclusive, you could look at a whole host of other great hotels and resorts all over Guanacaste... The JW Marriott springs to mind....

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort Suggestions

The Westin is a part of Reserva Conchal, which has a lovely golf course to run around.

6. Re: Resort Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2014, 06:18