We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend a swimmable beach for the end of our vacation?

NJ
Level Contributor
388 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Recommend a swimmable beach for the end of our vacation?

Hi. We're a family of four visiting Costa Rica in July for the first time. We're flying in and out of SJO and are renting a car. We'll spend 5 or 6 days near Arenal, then either 3 or 4 days in Bijagua (Tenorio) or Rincon de la Vieja, then 2 or 3 days at the beach (?) before spending our last night in Alajuela, flying out of SJO. My question: Which beach would you recommend for a little 'lazy' time near the end of our active vacation. We're not interested in surfing, but would prefer a beach where the kids could swim without worrying about riptides. It looks like our best bets are either Playa Hermosa or Playa Samara. We might do day trips from there, but at the end of a two-week vacation, we might just wind up hanging out at the beach. Any recommendations for which beach would better suit our needs? Thanks so much.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommend a swimmable beach for the end of our vacation?

If you are going to Rincon de la Vieja, then Playa Hermosa would be your best bet. It's about an hour an a half from the National Park.

This might help: www.yourtravelmap.com

Keep in mind: Bijagua is about 45 minutes from Canas and Rincon de la Vieja is about 30 minutes from Liberia.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommend a swimmable beach for the end of our vacation?

For all that you can get, and amenities there, there is no doubt that the best obcion is Tamarindo.

Every beach in Costa Rica are beautiful, but I think to be developed, and be one of the oldest in offering tourism, has all the comforts and necessities that you have at hand and with good service.

Samara
Level Contributor
825 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommend a swimmable beach for the end of our vacation?

Playa Samara is a great beach for children. It is off the beaten path, 2 hours from Liberia, and a small lazy town with lots of good restaurants on the beach.

Have fun!

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommend a swimmable beach for the end of our vacation?

How old are your kids?

If they are young, I'd go to Samara.

I don't know if I would describe Samara as "off the beaten path" - but, alas, I do remember the town from a time when it was truly just that. Any place where you can purchase Parmigiano-Reggiano, Tofu, Wasabi, and Edamame qualifies, in my book, as ON the beaten path.

Some people travel with their "kids" but those kids are no longer minors. If so, they'll probably have more fun in Tamarindo - but also a whole lot more potential trouble to get into.

Samara
Level Contributor
825 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommend a swimmable beach for the end of our vacation?

LOL I guess you are right but you do have to go out of your way to go to Samara since it is 40 minutes off the main road and if you are that road, you are only going to Samara, Carrillo or Nosara. :)

Have fun!

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommend a swimmable beach for the end of our vacation?

you might try to cut short Arenal for 1 or 2 days

and visit not 1 but 2 beach areas

Rincon de la Vieja volcano is a very good option, the volcano is active and you and enjoy adventure, nature, waterfalls, forest , hike , hot springs .....

NJ
Level Contributor
388 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommend a swimmable beach for the end of our vacation?

Thanks for all the suggestions. We wound up at the Casa Conde del Mar in Playa Panama -- next door to Playa Hermosa. The water in the Gulf of Papagayo was calm, clear, and warm, plus we were able to take a day-trip to Rincon de la Vieja.

8. Re: Recommend a swimmable beach for the end of our vacation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 05:16