We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After a week in Samara...

Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
After a week in Samara...

Hi,

My siblings and their families will be meeting us in CR for about 2 weeks over Christmas/New Year's. We are renting a house in Samara for a week to start, and are looking for another location that will contrast the beach setting, meaning higher elevation, possible volcanic features... There are 10 of us total, 6 adults and 4 kids ages 2-11. We are looking for an area that is not necessarily on every tourist's itinerary, but are open to any suggestions. My own family of four will be living in Monteverde for 6 months, so that is already covered!

Right now we have a few nights reserved at Arenal Observatory Lodge, so we would consider a location between there and Samara for 3 nights, or maybe skip AOL and settle into one location for a week instead. We are not luxury travelers, do not need things like TV or A/C, just comfortable accommodations in great locations with good hiking and exploring. Thanks for any ideas you have!

Samara
Level Contributor
864 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: After a week in Samara...

Hi there. You can try Rincon de la Vieja which is higher elevation and a volcano but the landscape is different and there are lots of activities offered there as well, such as canopy/zip line, white water rafting, horse tours and hot springs.

Have fun!

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: After a week in Samara...

Christmas and New Years time will probably be a little bit crowded everywhere. It is a busy season for both locals and travelers, so it is important to bear that in mind. AOL is a good choice if you want to be a little bit away of the crowds in downtown. It is quieter and the view is really good. I also agree that Rincon de la Vieja is a great choice and so could be Rio Celeste area for a couple of days. Have a great time.

Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: After a week in Samara...

Those are great suggestions! Thinking maybe La Carolina Lodge near Rio Celeste for 2-3 nights then AOL. Would Rincon de la Vieja be somewhat accessible from LCL or would we need to stay closer? Or should we just choose between R de la V and Arenal? I was having a harder time finding the right kind of accommodation for our group near R de la V. Any suggestions there are welcome...

Also, any idea on travel time from Samara to La Carolina Lodge?

Thank you so much!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: After a week in Samara...

Travel time from Samara to La Carolina Lodge is about 3.5 hours, more or less. From Samara to Nicoya to Limonal for Rt 1. Turn left (north) on Rt 1. Drive through Canas and about 6 km north of Canas, you will see the turnoff onto Rt 6 for Upala. Turn right here and follow this road about 40 km. You will go through the town of Bijagua and about 5-6 km past Bijagua, you will see the turn for La Carolina.

Rincon de la Vieja is definitely NOT a day trip from La Carolina. It's about 3 hours away.

For some lodging in the Rincon de la Vieja area - www.rincondelavieja.net

Samara
Level Contributor
864 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: After a week in Samara...

How big is your group?

Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: After a week in Samara...

We have 6 adults and 4 kids ages 2-11.

We have checked availability at a few locations near La Rincon de le Vieja- hard decision!!! Hacienda Guachipelin is available. My only concern is that our little family of four might be the only ones able to do all the activities (my brother has two small kids and my sister is not as adventure-active, though would love some hiking.) So we are considering Borinquen, but don't want to break the bank.

I may be way over thinking this! If it were just my family it would be easy- but deciding for 10 is just hard. All I read here is SOOO helpful, though!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: After a week in Samara...

Keep in mind that Guachipelin has two types of activities: adventure and nature. Some of you can do one - and the rest, the other. Have you looked at the "One Day Adventure/Nature Pass?"

Samara
Level Contributor
864 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: After a week in Samara...

It may be a good idea to email them and see what they can offer the different type of preferences in your group. I think there is plenty to do there for everyone.

Have fun!

Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: After a week in Samara...

Thank you Hattie and Brenda!

So, if you were to choose, would you do Samara, Hacienda Guachipelin, La Carolina Lodge or

Samara, La Carolina Lodge, Arenal Observatory Lodge? All opinions are welcome!

Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: After a week in Samara...

Or I suppose Samara, Hacienda Guachipelin, Arenal Observatory Lodge is a third option...

Get answers to your questions about Province of Guanacaste