We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue - To worry or not to worry? That is the question!

California
Level Contributor
189 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Dengue - To worry or not to worry? That is the question!

The Costa Rican Minister of Health declared a health alert for Dengue fever due to the increased number of cases. The article states the areas most affected are Parrita, Quepos, Puntarenas, and Perez Zeledon.

In contrast the CDC has NOT issued a travel alert for Costa Rica although they do talk about the "especially potent outbreak of Dengue fever" in Central America that has sickened 40,000 people and killed 26 as of July 25, 2013.

So, my family is going to spend several weeks in the Tamarindo and Playa Flamingo area in August. The forecast is for lots of rain, therefore mosquitos. Usually I just spray myself with bug spray in the evening and don't worry.

Have you been seeing Dengue in Tamarindo and Flamingo?

How much of a concern is it locally?

Thanks

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Dengue - To worry or not to worry? That is the question!

I haven't seen much in Tamarindo, but it's always a concern. Here is an article with some common sense about it http://wowtamarindocostarica.com/avoid-dengue

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,293 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dengue - To worry or not to worry? That is the question!

dengue mosquitos bite during the day so be sure to use repellant day and night. also the percentage of deet in the repellant has nothing to do with effectiveness, only how long it'll last ie low percentage needs to be reapplied more often than higher percentage.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dengue - To worry or not to worry? That is the question!

Another thing you can do to help is use electric plug-ins that are similar to plug-in air fresheners but have mosquito repellent. Put one of these in your hotel room and you won't have a problem with that one pesky mosquito that comes in when you open the door. They are available at any supermarket.

If you like sitting outside, you can burn a mosquito coil - also available at any supermarket.

Keep in mind that dengue mosquitoes are active during the day and like to hang out in shady places.

4. Re: Dengue - To worry or not to worry? That is the question!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Province of Guanacaste