We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alex on the Beach

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Alex on the Beach

I've booked 2 weeks at the Riu Palace (early Nov)- I know all about the environmental issues now, but the trip is booked, and I'd appreciate the community's help...

We're looking to do about 4 days of excursions, and I've read some great reviews about Alex on the Beach/Costa Rica Amazing Tours (random fake posts aside). Can anybody share their experience with this operator? Should I contact them now to negotiate a good price on all excursions, or should I wait until we arrive?

Here's the places we're thinking about, let me know your thoughts:

-Montverde for ziplining and suspension walks

-Rincon D.V/Llanos de Cortes waterfall

-Beach tour/fishing or catamaran

-Palo Verde River/Los Pumas

Can't wait to see this beautiful country!

Thanks all!

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alex on the Beach

you can rent a car and go on your own to Monteverde and Rincon de la Vieja volcano at Las Pailas ,

Marlin del Rey you can buy direct and Palo Verde , you should better buy a tour at RIUl because of the logistics.

Alex is a nice person.

Edited: 03 October 2013, 04:49
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Alex on the Beach

Thanks jose b!

My strategy is to have one tour company do everything to take the hassle out of our vacation. I don't want to do anything except show up for the tour and GO, so is Alex on the Beach "the guy" for this? Have you booked a tour with them?

Anybody with info about this operator, please let me know.

Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
810 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alex on the Beach

Hello cen0te-swimmer I have also booked the Riu Palace and when I did was not aware of the enviromental issues they had with the resort and the Country or I would not have booked. Would you tell me how you liked your trip when you return and what excursions you took and how they were. Thanks and hope you have a great trip!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Alex on the Beach

Yes, lisaBerwickMaine, I will let you know when I get back!

Has anybody on this forum booked with Alex on the Beach? Please help me out, I'm looking for some info...

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alex on the Beach

Please try to deal with people certified by ICT Secretary of Toursim of Costa Rica...dealing with PIRATE tour operators...is like playing LOTTO...

roadavisor

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Alex on the Beach

Why? What is the risk with booking with Alex on the Beach? The reviews are unanimously positive, so why should I care about this certification?

Thanks for any insight that you (or anybody else) can provide!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Alex on the Beach

I feel that is a fair question for somebody who has never been to Costa Rica.

Edited: 06 October 2013, 04:41
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alex on the Beach

Tourist agencies and guides are licensed by the tourism arm of the government - the ICT.

It's like taking a pirate taxi rather than a licensed taxi.

However, based on the many reviews and the endorsement from Jose B (he really knows the area), I would think it would be OK to use Alex.

Edited: 06 October 2013, 13:43
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alex on the Beach

Please do not take me wrong...I just like to let people like you know that you have different choices....Certified or not certified...i my case I like to know who I m deing with....who Im paying my hard earned money...

Roadadvisor

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Alex on the Beach

Thanks to both Hattie and roadadvisor, much appreciated.

Jose B, does Alex on the beach still have your endorsement?

To me, I don't see how certification affects me (the traveler) in any way. Were going to well-known places, not really "off the beaten path", so if the operator is safe, knowledgeable, and fun, I don't see much of a risk. Plus, Alex on the Beach is posted up on Matapalo beach, so that's convenient :) Let me know if I am naive to any risks of booking with this operator...

Last thing, should I email him now (I heard he's good in terms of response/communication), or just wait until we arrive to negotiate a pacakge then? My list of "excursions" is in O.P.

Thanks everybody!