We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions re: boat tour - Palo Verde

Chantilly, Virginia
Level Contributor
479 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Questions re: boat tour - Palo Verde

I've seen some tours that pick up at hotels. We are staying in Playa Ocotal and will have our own car so I think we can drive ourselves but I am not sure how to book a boat tour.

Are the tours offered through the national park? or are there independent operators? I can't really find any good info on tour times, etc. Will we need advance reservations during Christmas week? How far of a drive from Ocotal? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Playa Ocotal
Playa Ocotal
71 Reviews
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Ocotal Beach Resort
Ocotal Beach Resort
380 Reviews
Playa Ocotal, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions re: boat tour - Palo Verde

http://www.elviejowetlands.com/

Canada
Level Contributor
366 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions re: boat tour - Palo Verde

This was the company we used and really enjoyed it. Our hotel called and booked for us and we drove ourselves. They had a guy on a motor bike come out to meet us and guide us the last few miles to the office. I'd recommend booking the lunch after the tour as well, it was one of the best we had on our trip

http://www.paloverdeboattours.com/

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions re: boat tour - Palo Verde

One question, QuincySlave -- did the boat stop at any point so you could feed monkeys (or other wildlife)?

I read this in one report and have tried to contact the company to verify or dispute that they feed the animals during the trip - but no reply so far.

I have recommended them many times but will recommend against them if they are feeding the animals. So help me out here......

Canada
Level Contributor
366 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions re: boat tour - Palo Verde

Hattie, we did stop to see monkeys and they jumped on the roof of the boat. Our guide told us specifically not to feed the monkeys and they quickly lost interest and went back to the trees. We did this trip about 1.5 years ago so things might have changed since then. You are right, I would not want to support a company that promotes feeding any wildlife.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions re: boat tour - Palo Verde

Thanks so much. I am going to keep trying to contact them to make sure their policy is "no-feed."

Chantilly, Virginia
Level Contributor
479 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions re: boat tour - Palo Verde

Thanks to both of you for the information on the boat tour companies. I will take a look at the reviews for both of these companies and if anyone else has other suggestions, please let me know. I agree that I would not want to support a company that feeds the wildlife.

Hattie - do you know approximately how far a drive this would be from Ocotol? Are there other places to stop or see or combine along the way?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions re: boat tour - Palo Verde

You would be going to Puerto Humo for paloverdeboattours.com and you can combine a visit to Guatil with that.

This map might help: https://www.google.com/maps/ms…

I haven't drive it - but I would estimate around an hour to Puerto Humo for the boat. Then a little "detour" to Guatil upon your return.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
96 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions re: boat tour - Palo Verde

The tico lunch after the trip is awesome. served family style. Go really hungry. Jay villa nube Nueve

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions re: boat tour - Palo Verde

Palo Verde Boat Tours meet in Ortega, not Puerto Homo. If you are driving, the best thing to do is have them meet you in Filadefia and guide you there, especially if you are a first-timer. They do it all the time, and you won't get lost that way. Everyone meets up in Ortega (at the restaurant) and you leave your car there and go together in a van to the boat launch. The process works well.

Probably not much more than a 30 minute drive to Filadelfia from Ocotal.

Mentioned in this post
Palo Verde Boat Tours
Palo Verde Boat Tours
345 Reviews
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Ocotal Beach Resort
Ocotal Beach Resort
380 Reviews
Playa Ocotal, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions re: boat tour - Palo Verde

Well, it's convenient to meet - that's a great service so folks don't have problems getting lost or whatever. But the boats do leave from Puerto Humo if you want the adventure of getting there.

Just contact them and then do whichever is more appealing to you.