We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Arenal to the Los Angeles Cloud Forest....

USA
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Arenal to the Los Angeles Cloud Forest....

How long is this drive?

And how long would the drive from the Los Angeles Cloud Forest to Manuel Antonio NP take?

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Arenal to the Los Angeles Cloud Forest....

I was waiting for someone else to answer this question who might have a better answer as I can only make very rough estimates on this one.

It supposedly takes about 3 hours to drive from SJ to Fortuna by way of San Ramon. San Ramon is about 1 hour from SJ and the turn off for Los Angeles is about 10 kms from San Ramon. So my guess would be that the drive time between there and Fortuna would be a little over 1.5 hours plus a little more to go the additional 10 kms from the turnoff to Villablanca. HOWEVER, that assumes perfect weather. The drive from Fortuna to Los Angeles after La Tigra takes you through cloudforest terrain and I personally have driven it on more than one occasion when the fog was so great that even the end of my car's hood looked a little hazy. Needless to say such conditions can slow you down considerably. However, going earlier in the day should lessen the chance of that happening.

From Fortuna to Quepos by way of San Ramon should take about 3.5 hours. Subtract the 1.5 hours that I estimated it should take you to get to the turnoff for the cloudforest and that leaves a little over 2 hours to get the rest of the way to Quepos.

These are rough estimates and subject to variations besides weather such as traffic, road conditions or simply how leaden your foot is. But even if you add or subtract a half an hour to/from each, we're not talking a lot of time.

maine
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Arenal to the Los Angeles Cloud Forest....

the poster above me is pretty accurate from my experience just last week....and we DID experience heavy fog on our way back through from La Fortuna to San Ramon. the streams roadside were roaring along the way due to heavy rain in the days previous.

while the amt of time these treks take seems long in words, as you'e doing it, it goes by pretty fast, given that it's such a scenic adventure...but then, I'm pretty happy riding around as long as it isn't on a highway.

maine
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Arenal to the Los Angeles Cloud Forest....

oh...if you can manage it, driving on a sunday we find greatly decreases the amount of traffic you'll run into.

makes it easier particularly when you're in town.

4. Re: Driving from Arenal to the Los Angeles Cloud Forest....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 12:20
Get answers to your questions about Arenal Volcano...