We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baldi Hot Springs vs Ecotermales Hot Springs

Which Arenal Volcano National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ottawa, canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Baldi Hot Springs vs Ecotermales Hot Springs

I couldnt find any information on Ecotermales Hot Springs on this site and only 2 reviews came up for Baldi Hot Springs. Has anyone seen both to give a good comparison?

I know that Tabacon is supposedly the nicest ones but also very crowded -- do either of these two come close?

Thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
191 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baldi Hot Springs vs Ecotermales Hot Springs

I haven't been to Ecotermales - or even heard of it to be honest, but I've been to Tabacon and Baldi. There really is no comparison. Baldi is just a big complex of heated pools whereas Tabacon is a beautiful, more natural setting in an Eden like surrounding. Yes it is more expensive, but not by much and it is so much more enjoyable. Tabacon has wonderful streams of water and great waterfalls you can sit under and even walk behind on some. It is much much cleaner than Baldi also.

Do yourself a favour, give Baldi a miss and spend a few dollars extra on Tabacon.

Orlando
Level Contributor
31 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baldi Hot Springs vs Ecotermales Hot Springs

I also have been looking for Eco Thermales. It is supposed to be very secluded and romantic. But where is it? It's got to be somewhere around Arenal I would assume. I have heard mixed reviews on Baldi. However I think Tabacon has become overpriced. We were there last Sept. (04) and it was very crowded and we were charged for everything extra, like towels, lockers etc. We felt like they want to concentrate on the Tabacon lodge guests....interestingly, there is a hot springs across the street which used to be a "local Tico" spot..apparently Tabacon has purchsed it and is dressing it up a bit for transient traffic at a lower rate. Yes Tabacon Hot Springs is gorgeous, but we left with a bad taste...probably won't go back..I heard that there is a big diffence between the admission to Baldi and Tabacon. Good luck! we too are hot springs fanatics!

Costa Rica
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Baldi Hot Springs vs Ecotermales Hot Springs

Don't know about Ecotermales, but Baldi has my vote. I spent a very relaxing day there. It was beautiful.. I have also been to Tabacon and thought it very commercial. I enjoyed Baldi much more. I live in Costa Rica.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
638 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baldi Hot Springs vs Ecotermales Hot Springs

I suppose it would depend on what kind of experience you want when you visit your hot springs.

I'm with Matt. Baldi is just a collection of hot pools. While it was less expensive, we didn't find it particularly clean or attractive ... like going to a over-heated swimming pool.

We visited Tabacon in the early morning. Was absolutely spectacular. We had a chance to wander the beautiful gardens, try plunge pools of different temperatures, lay against the rocks as the hot river flooded over and around us (birds in the trees, flowers draped by the sides of the river -- very romantic). The waterfall is heavenly. We had booked a tour so were gone for the day but returned later in the evening for the dinner buffet.

Tabacon at night is quite a bit different and I wouldn't suggest it during the busy season. Crowded, noisy ... the gardens are not lit so you can't go walking. Dinner was excellent but my impression would have been completely different had I not had the morning to wander.

For my tourist buck, I'd go to Tabacon during the early morning/afternoon hours.

We did not go to Eco Termales but I can give you what information I have on it.

Located just across the street from Baldi is the unmarked entrance. Smaller than Tabacon, reservations are absolutely essential (479-8484). Admission is $14 US. Small series of pools set in the forest, spa services much less expensive and no view of the volcano.

ottawa, canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baldi Hot Springs vs Ecotermales Hot Springs

Great, thanks for the info. We'll try to plan for Tabacon in the early morning unless we can get some idea of how nice Ecothermales is

Denver
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Baldi Hot Springs vs Ecotermales Hot Springs

One more thing about Baldi if you decide to go there; something that we didn’t know until too late is that you can buy tickets to Baldi in La Fortuna for $10 at most of the tour shops, but if you wait and buy them at Baldi itself it costs $20. We were kind of bummed when we found this out after the fact. Next time we are going to skip both of the hot springs and stay in a hotel that has its own. We met another couple staying at Hotel Arenal Paraiso and they told us they had hot springs right there!

costa rica
Level Contributor
598 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Baldi Hot Springs vs Ecotermales Hot Springs

eco thermales is right down a turning before volcan look disco!

i think it's the best one there, if you go in the morning you can often have it almost for yourself.

check out my la fortuna travelblog for more info:

…typepad.com/samara_beach/home/index.html

costa rica
Level Contributor
598 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Baldi Hot Springs vs Ecotermales Hot Springs

sorry, i gave you the wrong link, it should be:

…typepad.com/la_fortuna/home/index.html

US
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Baldi Hot Springs vs Ecotermales Hot Springs

I went to Tabacon last May, but it was really crowded. The nice thing about Eco Thermales is that they never accept more than 100 visitors at a time, so it's never crowded.

I made reservations for Eco Thermales on Arenal.net:

arenal.net/tour/eco-thermales-hot-springs/

Toronto, ONT
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Baldi Hot Springs vs Ecotermales Hot Springs

ECOTERMALES - Absolutely beautiful. Chose it for our trip in March '06 as it was recommneded by our tour operator for being cheaper and more private. It will come down to personal taste as to what you enjoy more.

Tabacon is the ritzy, trendy, very popular grandiose resort destination. Very busy all the time. Baldi offers a middle ground lenaing more to the Tabacon way of doing things.

Ecotermales is the cheaper, more private, less popular excellent alternative to the two more popular hot spring destinations. The hot spring pools are made out of natural river rock and provides a very nice "natural" feeling to the experience.

I went to Costa Rica for the natural beauty, and personally I am not a fan of crowds, so for me Ecotermales was the perfect choice.

It is located approx 300 metres away from Baldi, in the opposite direction of Tabacon.

You will not be disappointed at any of them I am sure.