We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 transfers too much money?

Which Arenal Volcano National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
3 transfers too much money?

Hello,

We are going from SJO to Arenal to MA to SJO...

Private transfer quoted 475.00...

Is this WAY too much money? I'm on a tight budget and really don't want to have to deal with driving around the country...

Interbus schedule only works for the MA to SJO trip so the most I could do is change to interbus for final transfer...

Anyone have ideas?

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 transfers too much money?

I'm a big fan of the public bus system, is that an option for you?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 transfers too much money?

Not sure we will be up for the public bus from the airport to arenal when we first arrive. we will have been traveling from 3am (probably up all night the night before) so we'll be beat.

I would like to use a private transfer for at least Arenal to MA so we can stop and relax....

Any cheaper transfers anyone knows about? we were quoted 235 from Arenal to MA...

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 transfers too much money?

Honestly, you should probably just suck it up and rent a car. None of the legs you're taking is particularly difficult.

Also, you'll wind up saving money in cab fares--especially in Arenal, where everything is easily driveable but far enough apart for you to get fleeced by taxis.

Twin Lakes...
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 transfers too much money?

If you're on a budget, $475.00 sounds like a lot of money. I don't understand why you couldn't take Interbus to Arenal or MA. We did that from Adventure Inn to Arenal and then Arenal to Jaco and saved a lot over a private driver. Is it the times you don't like or are they booked up? The last leg from Jaco to the airport we hired a private driver cuz I read that Interbus isn't allowed to drop you off there and you'd have to take a cab from one of the hotels anyway, so that's the last part of the trip I'd do that. I don't know about the public buses, but with luggage and all, that sounds a little inconvenient to me.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 transfers too much money?

The times don't work with our flight schedule coming in.... I also heard you have to get a taxi from the airport to the interbus station....

I think we are going to try to take interbus for the way back to the airport.

I'm going to check again about the interbus schedule from AOL to MA.

Twin Lakes...
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 transfers too much money?

It's a pretty drive, but actually had no desire to stop anywhere. Everybody's different, but we were very glad we could look at the scenery and not have to focus on the road. Good luck with your plans.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 transfers too much money?

Interbus picks up at Hapmton Inn 2 minutes from airport, I think, you can probably take their shuttle to the hotel for free, just tip the driver.

mpls
Level Contributor
143 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 transfers too much money?

Boy, I am not sure what to think. That sounds cheap compared to what I have been quoted....590.00, with 250.00 of it the leg from Arenal to MA. This is for 4 people. I thought it sounded reasonable when adding up other similar TA route quotes. I like to have the convenience to stop when I want and personal commentary since I have come so far, compared to the bus, but I understand budget may come first. Anyone think my quote is really out of line?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 transfers too much money?

not sure but maybe its more for 4? we are just 2 ppl.....

Pennsylvania USA
Level Contributor
272 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 transfers too much money?

someone recommended that I look on AnywhereCostaRica.com for transportation. Theoretically if you paid per person for mini-bus shuttles, it would cost around $250 for both of you (I think you may have to take a taxi or two to get to the meeting points though) They have fixed times but maybe they will work for you. You can have a look atleast:

anywherecostarica.com/transportation/search.…