We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cano Negro - Help me decide

Which Arenal Volcano National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersery
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Cano Negro - Help me decide

I see that Cano Negro is a highly recommended tour especially on this site. We are on the fence about doing it or not. It seems like a really long day and I am just not sure if it's worth it for us. Here's a brief overview of what we will be doing while in Arenal. We are staying at Lost Iguana for 4 nights. It's for our honeymoon, so we want some adventrue but also some relaxing. While there we want to visit the hanging bridges, ecotermales and do the sky trek zipline. We will also have a couple's massage at Lost Iguana's Spa. So I guess I want to hear people's recommendations about whether or not we should add Cano Negro. Is it going to be too much hustle and bustle? What are the highlight's of this adventure?

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cano Negro - Help me decide

You're back in La Fortuna, so it's not that long of a day. Four nights is plenty of time to do everything on your list plus Cano Negro, which makes a great combination with Eco Termales.

Highlights generally include seeing monkeys, caimans, tons of birds, lizards, and seeing a completely different ecosystem than you'll see anywhere else in the country.

Camillus, NY
Level Contributor
763 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cano Negro - Help me decide

How far is the drive from Lost Iguana to Cano Negro?

[we are also staying at LI}

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cano Negro - Help me decide

If I recall correctly, it's a 90-120 minutes each way from La Fortuna to Cano Negro. Our guide talked about the various crops growing alongside the road and their ecological impact, and we stopped to see a sloth, toucans, and iguanas along the way.

Sunny California
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cano Negro - Help me decide

In my opinion, Cano Negro is a must! In my trip to Costa Rica, this was a big highlight. They day did not feel that long. They pick ou up early morning, take a nice drive, stopped at the Iguana Cafe where there are tons of iguanas, saw a sloth, took the peaceful ride on the river (took tons of great pictures), had lunch, and was back in La fortuna in the Afternoon.

In our trip out there we saw Howler Monkeys, 3 toed and 2 toed sloths, bats, caimans, Turtles, Tons of birds (Stork, egrets, herons, etc..), Jesus Lizards (saw one walk on water), and Iguanas. We saw more wildlife here than we did in any of the other 5 cities we went to in Costa Rica.

New Jersery
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cano Negro - Help me decide

Thanks for all the feedback. You're all making my decision that much easier. I guess I just need the reassurance that Cano Negro is "a must".

Cody, Wyoming
Level Contributor
6 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cano Negro - Help me decide

Cano Negro is a fun trip. We did it last year with our 2 year old son and it wasn't too long of a day and we were coming from the Arenal Observatory Lodge which is an additional half an hour drive. That being said, it does depend on the tour group you are going with as to how good a day you have. We went with Desafio Adventure Company and were pleased with the day. Our guide worked hard all day long to point out animals and birds and to tell us about the local culture.

7. Re: Cano Negro - Help me decide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 13:19