We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Kind of Beer in Costa Rica?

canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What Kind of Beer in Costa Rica?

I'm just curious what kinds of beer you can find at either grocery stores or hotel bars in costa rica (more specifically manuel antonio and arenal volcano if that makes a difference) and how much does beer usually go for? thanks (i' completely open to foreign brands, but if they don't have the usual stuff you may find in US/Canada, how would you rate their local beers?)

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Kind of Beer in Costa Rica?

Imperial is the best selling beer in CR, I like Pielsen myself on the rocks with some limon criollo. Cost about 1,000 colones.

New York
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What Kind of Beer in Costa Rica?

I've drank Imperial. Which I like most. I've also tried Pilsen which I also like, lol. But don't remember which are lighter tasting of the two. Try 'em. They're cheap in price. They also have, though not all stores in CR do but most especially in supermarkets, imports Corona, Buds etc. Of course the imports will run ya a bit more. Still compared to where we live it isn't much. I'll be trying out any other beers CR has to offer in a couple of weeks. Enjoy your time there and of course drink responsibly.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,308 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Kind of Beer in Costa Rica?

AS already stated, the most popular beer is Imperial. Other brands are Bavaria, Pilsen Rock Ice and Heineken. The Heineken is locally brewed. There is a non alcohalic beer called Kaiser (yes I know who wants to bother....)

Everything you ever wanted to know about beer in CR is here. (On the left there is a drop down menu for beer and RTD that takes you to various pages of the different brands and other info).

As opposed to how things are here in Canada, beer is readily available in supermarkets and grocery stores.

florida.co.cr/productos_en/cer_imperial.php

Pura Vida

raquel

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Kind of Beer in Costa Rica?

Raquel gave you the complete list. I prefer Pilsen. Most Americans who drink Bud and Miller prefer Imperial but being from Canada where there is real beer produced, you may prefer Pilsen.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Kind of Beer in Costa Rica?

If you have access to fridge, always buy deposit bottles. You will save money and they taste better.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
481 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What Kind of Beer in Costa Rica?

Raquel, I couldn't get that link to work. Is there a different link?

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,308 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What Kind of Beer in Costa Rica?

Hi Shooie,

Not sure why it is not working. Perhaps try this

http://tinyurl.com/cjlegk

As for rating the beers -below is one person's opinion.

http://www.epinions.com/content_4616921220

raquel

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,369 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What Kind of Beer in Costa Rica?

Imperial is smooth, satisfying, and cheap--you can get a bottle for $2 at many restaurants.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,259 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What Kind of Beer in Costa Rica?

Note that we're still talking lager here. Blah. The only dark beer we've seen is Heiniken Dark, which isn't bad. They aren't much into the ales and stouts here. Gonna find me a nice Sleeman's as soon as I get home.... ;>

Landstuhl, Germany
Level Contributor
68 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What Kind of Beer in Costa Rica?

"Most Americans who drink Bud and Miller prefer Imperial but being from Canada where there is real beer produced, you may prefer Pilsen."

Never ceases to amaze me when Canadians spread American hate ...

Get answers to your questions about Arenal Volcano...