We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AOL Dinner Question

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
AOL Dinner Question

So my 2 days in Arenal are almost complete..thanks to all! Just have a question about the only meal I need to plan, (everything else is taken care of).

We're doing a 3pm Sky Tram/Trek tour which lasts til about 530. Is there anywhere close to go to dinner before we go to check in @ AOL? I'm not taking my chances on the dinner there, (most say no good, but breakfast is OK). Also I don't know if I want to drive all the way back over to La Fortuna since the Sky Tram is on the same side as AOL. Or am I thinking it's further than it really is?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,316 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AOL Dinner Question

We were just there on Mon/Tues last week. Yes, the dinner really is that bad. We ate there for convenience sake as we didn't feel like making the drive. How do you screw up bread rolls? The breakfast buffet was fine, but the sausages were a bit odd and the eggs needed seasoning.

However, is this your first drive up the road to AOL? Hmm, I would avoid doing that in the dark the first time if you can, although it's not impossible in the dark, just make sure you have a good flashlight for reading the roadsigns, because there are a couple of turns.

It really isn't a big deal to drive down to La Fortuna from the the AOL turnoff - 10, 15 minutes maybe. Its the drive from AOL to the highway that makes you think twice. As you are coming in to town after you pass the big resorts (Los Lagos, Baldi), there is a grocery store on the right... something Cristian #4 I think. On the left is a little soda with a green tent, right on the side of the road. Soda y Delicis or something like that. Anyway, we had dinner for four for c7900. We had the Arroz con Pollo (always safe!) and both thought it was pretty good. Worth checking out IMO.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: AOL Dinner Question

Yeah, we're probably going to be starving after our "adventure day" and were looking ot eat before getting to AOL for 2 reasons. 1. Not trying to drive in the dark, and 2. hearing about the road to get there I plan on getting to AOL and staying there.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AOL Dinner Question

El Novillo is very close on that side of the volcano, on the road to La Fortuna.

Just be sure that you get to the AOL before the reception desk closes.

Eastern Shore...
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AOL Dinner Question

okay, so we were at AOL in February and we did the sky tram first before we went on to AOL. The road to the sky tram is on the same bad road as AOL so once you're got that far I would suggest you don't go back. We really didn't find dinner at all bad at AOL, in fact we thought it was the breakfast that was awful. So maybe we're just weird. Just go for it at AOL and take in the amazing views, gardens etc. and enjoy yourselves.

Big Lake, Minnesota
Level Contributor
334 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AOL Dinner Question

We were just at AOL 10 days ago (yes, I am so bummed to be back home). We were kind of 'stuck' eating dinner there. I ordered the fajitas pollo (called chicken strips in the English translation of the menu), and they were not bad. I thought the rolls were fine, although the first night a bit tough. My husband had the sirloin steak, and it was tender but had a strange flavor. He didn't think it was great, and he is not a picky eater.

The view and grounds are beautiful.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: AOL Dinner Question

Thanks for all the advice. Do you know about how far El Novillo is from the Sky Trek/Tram? If it's too much out of the way I'll just suck it up and go to AOL..just make sure I bring lots of snack food, protein bars, etc. The Sky Trek tour is done @ 530pm and I need to check in by 9pm, (gates close @ 11pm). More worried about driving in the dark though.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AOL Dinner Question

Driving in the dark isn't a big problem in Arenal.

Here's a map of the area:

www.arenal.net/arenal-costa-rica-map.htm

El Novillo is on the other side of Tabacon from the AOL.

Both times we've stayed at the AOL, we've had one night of 'suck it up and eat dinner at the lodge' because of the road, and because we didn't want to miss out on the volcano viewing.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: AOL Dinner Question

I've looked at that map alot and couldn't find Tabacon. I read somewhere it's close to Erupciones Inn.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AOL Dinner Question

I know people have said it here but I'm saying it again!

DONT EAT AT AOL. We thought hey what the heck we have 2 nights might as well try it one night... don't do it... it's terrible.

El Novillo is AMAZING and you CAN see lava from their restaurant. They turned the lights off for us and we watched the glow while enjoying steaks the size of our heads... loved this place and its not so far from AOL.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: AOL Dinner Question

Maybe we should head to AOL after the SkyTrek, (530ish), check in. Get a little cleaned up and then head to El Novillo for dinner. We should definitely be back by 11pm when the gates close right?

Get answers to your questions about Arenal Volcano...