We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanging Bridges/ Zip Lines & White Water Rafting

Falls Church, VA
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hanging Bridges/ Zip Lines & White Water Rafting

We are arriving next Thursday and plan to drive to AOL from SJO. Our plane gets in at 11:00 am. Do we have time to drive to AOL, unpack and then do Eco Thermales that night?

We will be there for three more days and would love suggestions for...

hanging bridges

zip lines

white water rafting

We have a car so can get to these locations but if we can knock out two in one day because they are close that would be awesome.

We leave Sunday morning so any possible itineraries would be appreciate. We have a 19 and 17 year old. Thanks!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanging Bridges/ Zip Lines & White Water Rafting

www.desafiocostarica.com best Arenal tours

also like www.skytrek.com best zip...

Rio Celeste www.ruralcostarica.com

is also quite amazing if you have the time...

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanging Bridges/ Zip Lines & White Water Rafting

I assume AOL is Arenal. If so, yes leaving at around noon from San Jose will give you plenty of time to get to Arenal. Just take your time and enjoy the sights. The directions arent difficult but you need to pay attention. When you get in town you have time to the the hot springs (and will probably really enjoy the soothing water after hours of a plane/car ride).

Zip lines in Arenal arent bad, but are better in Monteverde, but you dont have much time (basically two full days) to drive there. Instead to repelling down waterfalls with DesaFio. Lots of fun and a chance to keep cool.

I would also recommend (so long as you arent clostrophobic) doing a caving excursion. Lots of fun and you see bats and the coolest rock forms from the water.

Go to La Catarata in La Fortuna by yourselves (no tourguides). Its cheap and just relaxing. You dont need a tourguide, trust me.

You will need to check the weather to see how white water rafting is and if there has been sufficient rain to make it worth your wild.

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanging Bridges/ Zip Lines & White Water Rafting

You guys will have plenty of time for sure. I really recommend eco thermales. Sometimes you can get to them on the same night, but sometimes because they only take 100 people a night you'll have to make reservations the night before.

Hanging bridges are great and there are lots of zip lines to chose from including a tour with a horse ride.

Your kids will love it!

Marina K. Villatoro

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanging Bridges/ Zip Lines & White Water Rafting

I would do the hot springs the next day - you are cutting it short for the same night. We had the best meal at Eco so take the time for the springs and meal and enjoy rather that rushing. An idea might be to stop at Poas Volcano on the way and then dinner at La Fotuna and then head out to AOL (or straight to AOL and eat there. It is a good idea to go to AOL the first time when it is daylight. The zip line ppl (Skytrek I think it is) is close to AOL. That was a lot of fun. AOL has its own hanging bridges (for free) - so might want to consider. While at AOL you can also do several hikes. We did not do the whitewater - but saw several tours.

5. Re: Hanging Bridges/ Zip Lines & White Water Rafting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2009, 08:18
Get answers to your questions about Arenal Volcano...