We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How does the GPS work in CR?

Raleigh, Nc
Level Contributor
11 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
How does the GPS work in CR?

We are renting a car with a GPS. But I'm wondering...if there are no street addresses, how does one use the GPS there?

Will I be able to find my hotels in it, or will I navigate from town to town?

Playa Negra
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How does the GPS work in CR?

GPS is useless here...better to get a good roads map and ask people around, we are friendly to tourism everywhere, you can always ask anyone even you speak no spanish, we love to help!

Pura vida!

Ojochal
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How does the GPS work in CR?

We live in Costa Rica and bought the Garmin Costa Rican map. It isn't perfect, but still really helpful. Most landmarks, hotels and tourist locations are listed. I won't drive in San Jose without it. The car rental companies that include GPS have the same updated map. I highly recommend it.

As lospargos indicated, if the GPS doesn't know the way, asking for directions is a way of life here.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How does the GPS work in CR?

Useless? Incredible...I have been driving with my Garmin for well over two years now...with the same mapping as the rent a cars...they work just fantastic...it works very simple...if you are heading to Tulemar Bungalows...just write Tulemar...and the GPS will take you there and out of where ever you are!

They are so accurate ...even the arrival time...it will tell you in English when the next turn is coming...most of the time even a narrow bridge... Useless I can not beleive it!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Raleigh, Nc
Level Contributor
11 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How does the GPS work in CR?

Thanks for the responses. I am going to splurge and pay the extra $9 a day to rent a GPS.

I don't think my GPS back here in the States is perfect, but it is certainly helpful most of the time...and given my bad sense of direction I think I need all the help I can get ;-)

Cheers,

Rebecca

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How does the GPS work in CR?

We had a rental car company GPS and it worked quite well, a few times it missed a turn here and there, but for the most part it was well worth the money.

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How does the GPS work in CR?

I also think the GPS is a great tool to drive around, especially when on speaks a foreign language and might have a difficult time trying to get addresses from others - making you loose precious vacation time. Specially in a country with not a common addressing culture!!

Well, GPS' in CR can t be used as you probably do back home.. where you just type the address you want it to take you to go and go... that would be really difficult here as you may already be aware.

Here, what is done is that the map software by Navsat (the leading GPS provider) includes the most important / well known tourist places, so you search your place of interest in the map to take you there.

I hope I was able to explain this is a way that was not more confusing that clarifying.... its sometimes hard to find the right words in English...

Placerville...
Level Contributor
141 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How does the GPS work in CR?

I was wondering the same thing, so I looked around briefly online and found a youtube video of some guys traveling around CR with their gps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNlka5pjjBI

Seems like it helped them!

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
340 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How does the GPS work in CR?

Does anyone know if I can rent a GPS without renting a car? I will be using a friend's car which doesn't have a GPS, but would like to use one.

Can I bring one from the US? If so, how do you buy the Costa Rica map for it?

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,316 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How does the GPS work in CR?

Ilove, I'm glad you posted that. I have the same question - how do you buy the Costa Rica map for the Garmin?

Houston
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How does the GPS work in CR?

I agree. The Garmin site indicates that they don't have Costa Rica maps. It appears that there are folks who make software that will work in Garmins, but I can't tell if they've updated their maps to reflect earthquake road closures.