We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanging Bridges

Which Arenal Volcano National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Hanging Bridges

I would like to visit the hanging bridges - is a tour guide necessary? I will have a rental car.

Thanks in advance!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanging Bridges

If you really wnat to have a guide...but it can be done without one...

Luis

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,298 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanging Bridges

We did it without a guide, and honestly I wish we had hired one. It's a very pretty hike and easy to do on your own, but a guide gives you a lot of interesting information about the area and can point out cool plants and spot wildlife for you. People we know who have gone with guides have had some interesting wildlife sightings, everything from howlers to vipers. We saw ants. Surprisingly the food at the little snack bar restaurant was very good there. We ate lunch there, and had casados and batidos that were very good. We kind of expected fast food, but were happy to find that wasn't the case. When we went, you could hire a guide at the entrance. You could also check with companies like Sunset Tours or Desafio.

We hired a guide through Sunset Tours for a day just for fun, and he found amazing wildlife so close to our hotel - we saw an anteater, great birds like toucans, howler monkeys, and even a peccary. Just walking around with him was one of our best days in CR. No guarantees, but a guide really helps with the spotting, and a lot of times they know the right places to look. If you just want a pretty hike, a guide isn't necessary.

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanging Bridges

Hi,

I've done the hanging bridges like 3 times all on our own and it's hard to spot stuff when you really don't know what you're looking for.

You can hire a guide thru the companies Volcanogirl recommended, they are reliable and very knowledge. It's about $50 per person, but that includes entrance which is usually half of that anyway.

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

Sutton, MA
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanging Bridges

We went with a guide on our tour and I would recommend a guide. They will be able to spot a lot more stuff than you will walking through on your own. Being a bridge engineer I was more interested in the bridges but I would never have been able to spot all of the wildlife on the walk with out a guide. Just like going through Manual Antonio Park, you can do it on your own but you will never see the same things as with a guide.

Vienna
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanging Bridges

With a guide you will learn and see much more of the flora and fauna of the places you are visiting. If you are interested in a private guide, I highly recomment Erick Guzman (email: erick_natureguide@yahoo.com). He is a great naturalist guide and the tours we did with him at Arenal were worth every penny. Besides Hanging Bridges, he also offers volcano hikes, Cano Negro, Rio Celeste and I think Sarapiquí. We preferred having a private guide to make the tours more personal and so we could ask all the questions we wanted to.

But if you prefer being part of a larger group there are several tour operators in Fortuna doing the Hanging Bridges, for example Desafio or Arenal.net

Amazilia

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
25 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanging Bridges

Even though we are wildlife biologists, getting a guide was a great choice. The guides talk to each other and share info on where certain species were sighted last- because of this we saw numerous species we would not have seen on our own. Plus, their eyes are better in these ecosystems because it is where they are used to searching.

Level Contributor
393 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hanging Bridges

We also used Erick as a private guide for Hanging Bridges just last week. It was well worth it for our family of 4 to have him as our guide. As others said they know what to look for and where. It made it a more enjoyable and educational experience for all of us.

Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hanging Bridges

I have read that the early morning tour of hanging bridges is the best one to see animals. If we hire a guide will they schedule it or must we schedule it on our own? Also any ideas of a reasonably priced decent hotel so we can be close to the bridges and not have to do a lot of early morning driving? We want to combine this with a trip to Mt. Arenal and stay at a hotel and /or dine at the restaurant where you sometimes can see the orange volcanic activity at night. Anyone know the names of these establishments and their approximate cost ,etc? We plan to stay a night in each of these two areas.

Level Contributor
393 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hanging Bridges

We stayed at Arenal Observatory Lodge which is the closest hotel to see the volcano. We had the rare experience of seeing lava 3 out of our 4 nights there. The Hanging Bridgees was only about 20 minutes away. You can look on their webiste for their rates.

Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hanging Bridges

Sounds awesome. We will probably spend our first day at Monteverde and then head up to the Arenal observatory area in the afternoon. Still would like to know what restaurant has the best views for dinner and also the route we would take to go from Monteverde to the Arenal observatory area. Our map is impossible! Only twenty minutes by car? Thanks so much in advance.