We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do Not Use Thrifty Car Rental San Jose/Costa Rica

United States
Level Contributor
9 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Do Not Use Thrifty Car Rental San Jose/Costa Rica

Thrifty Car Rental of San Jose, Costa Rica is the absolute worst rip-off

possible. I pre-reserved a car, then confirmed and checked what insurances I

would need to take after reading through my confirmation. I spoke on the phone

with Thrifty 800 number Customer service and was told I had to take only the

$7.99 a day insurance. I did that and had it on my reservation/confirmation.

The Reps at Thrifty insisted I take tons more insurance advising it was required

by the govt, which is not true. We argued, spoke with the manager and were told

we could just go somewhere else and rent a car. So, we just took all the

coverages they insisted on which DOUBLED the cost of the rental. Now I am not a

novice traveller at all but this was the worst rip-off, most unprofessional

service (they even took us to the back to "show us our rental car", but was

obviously more to show us two wrecked vehicles.) They were playing the same

game with some Europens as well. DO NOT RENT from THRIFTY CAR RENTAL.

Absolutely the worst car rental experience ever.

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do Not Use Thrifty Car Rental San Jose/Costa Rica

We've used Thrifty several times in San Jose. Obtained the same insurance coverage as here in Canada. Had a minor accident once which was completely covered by my insurance. Staff were pleasant and courteous. No problems of any kind.

Jerry

United States
Level Contributor
9 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do Not Use Thrifty Car Rental San Jose/Costa Rica

We went there with our confirmation - had checked the rates and insurances needed through the toll-free number. They were also trying to upsell (cheat) another couple at the same time. I firmly state this was the worst car rental experience ever.....BEWARE Thrifty Car Rental of San Jose, Costa Rica...They are also rude, when we questionedt hem on why we had to take certain insurances they said - you can get a car somewhere else. Do not use this car rental agency.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,172 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do Not Use Thrifty Car Rental San Jose/Costa Rica

Sorry to heard that...you may send a letter to the rent a car President and legal representative here in Costa Rica...his name is ...Orlando Guerrero .

Copy your letter to the corporate office in USA!

Again sorry!

roadadvisor

United States
Level Contributor
9 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do Not Use Thrifty Car Rental San Jose/Costa Rica

I would very much like to do that. Could you kindly forward an address in Costa Rica. The only address I have is for the actual agency we visited. Thanks very much.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do Not Use Thrifty Car Rental San Jose/Costa Rica

Costa Rican Rental Car Insurance Explained (Sort Of)

Auto insurance in Costa Rica is a government monopoly of the INS (Instituto Nacional de Seguros). Liability insurance from the INS is mandated by law, but provides only minimal coverage. Rental agencies offer supplemental programs that cover deductibles and contingencies other than a simple traffic accident.The cost of insurance can approach or exceed the cost of renting. There are three types

1) Required by Law—Mandatory TPL, SLI, SLC or API

Liability Insurance from the INS is required regardless of your policies at home or the claims of your titanium credit card. The cost ranges from $US 7-20 per day depending on the vehicle. This insurace does not cover your rental car at all, only damages to other people, their cars, or property. Unless you purchase supplements, or have documented coverage from your credit card you are still responsible for all damages to the rental vehicle.

So you must pay that probably what you were charged for.

Frequently my credit card covers CDW but otherwise you must

take that out also...

Bottom line mandatory insurance costs can and do double your rental cost.

Do not blame Thrifty blame the goverment monopoly...

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,172 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do Not Use Thrifty Car Rental San Jose/Costa Rica

The mandatory insurance is mandatory to every body...that includes all cars even the regular private own cars...that is like many states of the union to protect others from people that do not have any extra insurance.

In Costa Rica we do not blame anybody for any insurance monopoly...in my case I like to have that mandatory insurance...wich by the way is not much...

Insurance in USA without monopoly is even higher some times than the car rental...so what is the difference...?

Send the letter by e'mail to the rent a car...

Sincerely yours from PARADISE!

Roadadvisor

United States
Level Contributor
9 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do Not Use Thrifty Car Rental San Jose/Costa Rica

When I called THRIFTY in the states with my confirmation number and made them fully aware I was renting in Costa Rica, they said i would have to take the mandatory $7.99 a day insurance, which I did. They added it into my confirmation and e-mailed it to me. I also have full coverage at home as well as the converages your credit cards automatically give you. I was MADE to take more than the mandatory amount. Oh, in addition, I waas told I definitely should rent their GPS for $12 a day.......to get to Guanancaste......whihc is simply one road that goes up north. From there to the Hilton is three turns and I had VERY clear instructions on how to get htere from the Hilton website...after telling them this, I was then offered the GPS at $10 a day. Do not rent from THRIFTY in San Jose Costa Rica - they are just out to rip-off tourists. I would love to be back in Costa Rica soon, but would never use THRIFTY.

Chicagopizzapi
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Do Not Use Thrifty Car Rental San Jose/Costa Rica

I'm sorry you had this experience. I have to admit that after reading your review, I am a little hesitant to rent from Thrifty in Costa Rica. BUT, in their defense, I did book a car (their rates were really the best around) and I called the 800 number. They were very thorough in their explanation of what was and wasn't required. I even called back a second time to make sure. They gave me the rates for the SLC and LDW and also told me that they have a "Total Care Plan" which would cover everything, but that I would have to call the SJO office to get that rate. I will do that because I don't want any nasty surprises waiting for me.

Furthermore, on the actual booking form (I booked online) there is a full page of information on what insurance is required and the cost. I'm hoping my experience with Thrifty isn't the same as yours and I will post on it when we get back home.

United States
Level Contributor
9 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do Not Use Thrifty Car Rental San Jose/Costa Rica

I booked Thrif fo the same reason as the above writer - they had the best rates. And as the write did, I called and discussed the insurance I would need - and was told only mandatory was the $7.99 a day one.....This totally contradicted what I was told by the thieves at the office of Thrifty Rent a Car in San Jose Costa Rica.

I disputed and was told (could not believe this), that all the extra insurance was mandatory.....even the additional $2 a day in case I got a flat tire. PLEASE BEWARE and do not use this rental car agency in Costa Rica. Biggest travel mistake I have ever made....I vacation fairly often and in the last couple of years have been to Ausralia, England, Chile, France (2X), Greece and several US locations......NONE have had any occurence as horrible as the run in with THRIFTY RENT A CAR of San Jose Costa Rica.

Edited: 15 March 2010, 21:11
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do Not Use Thrifty Car Rental San Jose/Costa Rica

You don't help your case, KJ39, by using words like "thief" and "cheat." When you get over-emotional, people tend to think, "hmm, this guy is really angry" and maybe not pay much attention to your rant.

The fact is that mandatory insurance in Costa Rica is very expensive. Too bad they didn't tell you ahead of time but there it is. There's coverage for liability in case of an accident which covers other drivers and cars, medical for you and your passengers, damage to the car and one of the most expensive parts is theft - I know because I live in Costa Rica and have a car and have car insurance.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with this company but others have not. Perhaps everyone all the way around was having a bad day or the planets were lined up in a way that none of you could come to an understanding.

If you peruse this forum, you will probably not find one rental car company that hasn't had a complaint. Some are better than others, but none are perfect. I had a good experience with Budget, for instance, but others didn't.

I do hope you had a good visit to Costa Rica in spite of your experience with Thrifty.

Get answers to your questions about Arenal Volcano...