We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What I decided to do. Good choices?

Orem, Utah
Level Contributor
506 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
What I decided to do. Good choices?

I'll be getting into San Jose early (5:30 AM) on Monday morning. From there I'll be driving myself to La Fortuna where I'll be spending 3 nights at the Magic Mountain Hotel after which I will be going to Monteverde for 2 nights. This is what I've decided to do during the Fortuna part of the trip:

Day 1(Arrival day): Stop at Catarata Del Toro on the way to La Fortuna from San Jose. Drive the rest of the way to Fortuna and then maybe do the hike to La Fortuna Waterfall, too. We'll be really tired because we just got off an all night flight so I'm not planning on much this day.

Day 2: Lost Canyon canyoneering tours with desafio and then a trip to Venado Caves in the afternoon.

Day 3: Rafting. I've been on some class ii-iii before and was fine, so I was aiming for a class iii-iv trip. Any recommendations on the best company for this? Also planning on contacting Erick with Taraba tours for a night hike of arenal. I could also do this on the night of days 1 or 2.

Any recommendations or changes that you would suggest we make? Am I trying to do to much in not enough time? Thank you!

Arenal Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Pura Vida Tours
Horseback Riding Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
56 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What I decided to do. Good choices?

We did the one day Pacuare rafting trip with Exploradores Outdoors and it was excellent, class 3-5 and amazing scenery! We had a lot of fun and the guides are very professional and safety is their #1 concern.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,924 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What I decided to do. Good choices?

One of the most reputable rafting country with about 35 years experience or more...Rios Tropicales...you can get the day of arrival an early pick up in somewhere around San Jose...around 7am...sleep on the bus and by 10am at the dropp off at Turrialba...run the Pacuare...and then rent a car and go to Arenal or have somebody drive you there or spend the night in Siquirres...just 2 hours away from Arenal.

Try to deal with a good reputable rafting company...it is fun and it is your life also!

roadadvisor

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What I decided to do. Good choices?

Your itinerary looks great! I would recommend Desafio for the rafting tours, they give one heck of a great tour:)

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What I decided to do. Good choices?

Rios Tropicales is a great company. I believe both RT and Exploradores Outdoors offer the Arenal/San Jose rafting/x-fer option which includes rafting the Pacuare (Class 3-4, or 5 if you want to test in) and getting you from one area to the other.

5. Re: What I decided to do. Good choices?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2011, 08:21