We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best for family with kids in Arenal...

Which Arenal Volcano National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
990 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best for family with kids in Arenal...

Helo All,

We're a family of 4 with 2 kids aged 10 & 8. We will be in the Arenal area from November 18 - November 22. We will have a rental car.

What are your best recommendations for:

A) Hot Springs

B) Canopy tours/Zipline

C) Activities we can do on our own...without having to pay for a guide, since we will have a rental car.

Thanks so much!

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best for family with kids in Arenal...

Your kids are perfect age for all the greatest activities in the area.

I don't know if you have a hotel already, but Los Lagos, is my top choice for family travel, plus they have hot springs.

For activities:

Skytrek zipline

on your own:

waterfall

hanging bridges

observatory lodge and look out

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,367 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best for family with kids in Arenal...

Another vote for Los Lagos for families! We enjoyed it very much.

They have a great informative website

http://www.hotelloslagos.com/

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
990 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best for family with kids in Arenal...

What about Hotel Nayara Arenal???

Also, which would you recommend with kids: Baldi, Eco Termales, The Springs?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best for family with kids in Arenal...

WELCOME to our country COSTA RICA!

Costa Rica is for kids and we love kids in Costa Rica!

1- Eco Termales is a family Hot Springs...good food...nice pools...great local people run the show there..

Baldi...like swwiming in a Mc Donalds parking lot...

The Springs...nice and also good for people that like to see poor caged animals...animal cruelty at the maximun expression!

Sky Trecks nice very nice...and if somebody decided not to do it...can visit the butterfly garden..

Arenal Nayara is great...my kids ages 6 and 9 love the place...but in a way I like...Silencio del Campo number one here in TA , they offer a nice hot springs pool...and of course great Los Lagos...

Remember you can deal direct with hotels, tours, rent a cars. etc...if you deal with a company or an individual ask where they are located...

roadadvisor from Costa Rica and IN COSTA RICA!

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
990 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best for family with kids in Arenal...

OK.

So what should our itinerary be for those 3 nights in Arenal?

We arrive on November 18 midday at San Jose Airport.

A- If someone could help us out with an itinerary from November 18-November 22, that'd be great.

We are leaving Arenal to Dominical on Monday, November 22, in the morning. We will be in Dominical for 7 days before coming back to the US.

B- Will the Rio Celeste be a good hike with kids or too strainuous?

Also, do we need a guide or can we get there on our own with our rental car and tour it by ourselves?

Thanks.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
343 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best for family with kids in Arenal...

I would contact Erick (www.tarabatours.com). He is an excellent private guide and knows the area very well. We very much enjoyed the tours we did with him. Getting a guide for the Hanging Bridges and some other activities is worth the money. You will get to see so much more wildlife and learn about the animals and plants. Maybe consider doing a Cano Negro tour with your kids instead of Rio Celeste.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best for family with kids in Arenal...

Agree with costaricafan about Erick...nice and proffesional guide...but do not be afraid you can do Rio Celeste on your own...just don't hike to fast...go as fast your kids can go...and no problema...well of course you know your kids better than anybody else!

Maybe one thing you can do..November 18th...take a shuttle or private transfer to Monteverde...about 3 hours ride...nice ride...good road bu the last 12 kms...muddy or dusty not a big deal any car will make it..

Maybe a couple nights in Monteverde...take the Jeep-'Boat-Jeep transfer to Arenal is a door to door service...stay there until 22nd...take the car there in Arenal and drive to Dominical...about 4 hours drive...

Soory I may be the wrong person to answer your question since I love to drive and I do it in a daily basis...to anywhere in my great country!

roadadvisor from Costa Rica and IN COSTA RICA

Edited: 07 September 2010, 18:09
8. Re: Best for family with kids in Arenal...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2011, 15:37