We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dominical to Monteverde

Which Arenal Volcano National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
990 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Dominical to Monteverde

We will have a car during our stay in Arenal.

Is it possible to do a 1-day trip to Monteverde and back to Arenal?

Or is is better to stay 1-night over?

Thanks.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dominical to Monteverde

www.mapcr.com

www.monteverdeinfo.com

too far to go there and around the lake to Arenal and see anything.

Overnite stay at a minimum best

www.fondavela.com

www.hotelbelmar.net

wonderful places...have fun,

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dominical to Monteverde

It's more or less 3 hours from Arenal to Monteverde so a day trip is really not feasible. Better to plan on at least one night.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
990 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dominical to Monteverde

thanks so much.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dominical to Monteverde

Doable of course...fun I do not think so...maybe if you are crazy as I´m for driving...incredible nice drive...some places up in the mountains facing the Guanacaste Pampa just incredible...can even see some mountains at -in Nicaragua...

No morfe than 3 hours...bad section about 12 kilometers getting into Santa Elena..hard floor road bed...but rocky...hard to drive fast...muddy when wet and dusty when dry...but always fun ...

roadadvisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
990 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dominical to Monteverde

Noooooooooooo BIG Mistake...

I meant Arenal to Monteverde for a day trip in Monteverde as we will be staying about 4 days in Arenal.

Is it possible for a day trip to Monteverde from Arenal?

Also, is the SKY Tram/Sky Trek in Arenal?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dominical to Monteverde

OK. Whether you are traveling from Monteverde to Arenal or Arenal to Monteverde, the time is the same.

If you travel from Arenal to Monteverde for a day trip, think in terms of driving for six hours and being able to do one thing once you are in Monteverde and that's about it. Of course, you can do it, but you will be shortchanging yourself and Monteverde. There's a lot more to Monteverde than zip lines.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,818 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dominical to Monteverde

I agree with Hattie 100%

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
787 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dominical to Monteverde

Hi Dashelter,

I absolutely agree with the others. I did the trip by car from Arenal to Monteverde last February. It took us about 3 and a half hours and the last part of the route was terrible (mind roadadvisor's opinion since he is an expert). Once in Monteverde, there are lots of things to do and see. I specially recomend Bat Jungle (a small but great exhibition on bats, of course), a guided visit to one of the two cloud forests in the area and the zip lines. Regarding the hanging bridges, I liked the ones in Arenal better than those in Monteverde (Selvatura).

You definitely need a full day in Monteverde, which means I night there. Where are you going after your four days in Arenal? Maybe you can cut short your stay in Arenal, go to Monteverde, avoid the way back (same road) and go directly from Monteverde to your next destination.

Have a great trip!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dominical to Monteverde

Thank you Almatur...most of the people that I talked in my life that drove from Arenal to Monteverde or the other way around ...we all agree it is to much driving for one day...maybe Arenal to Monteverde and back to Arenal and spend some great time at the hot springs...maybe that way...

roadadvisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

10. Re: Dominical to Monteverde

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2011, 06:21