We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

all inclusives

Which Arenal Volcano National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island City...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
all inclusives

Can anyone recommend a good all inclusive hotel in Costa Rica?

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,840 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: all inclusives

In Costa Rica or in Arenal?

Either way they are far and few. In Costa Rica as a whole I would say the Westin in Playa Conchal - starwoodhotels.com/westin/…

In Arenal I can't think of a single one. Someone from up that way will need to confirm this.

Not a traditional "All Inclusive" but most of the Eco lodges down in the OSA Peninsula and also in Tortuguero include all meals.

Cheers

Edited: 15 August 2011, 02:16
Long Island City...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: all inclusives

Thanks so much. I'll probably rethink the inclusive idea.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: all inclusives

All Inclusives are not that popular in Costa Rica because there is a good tourist infrastructure all over the country. People who stay at all-inclusives usually end up at one of the northern Pacific beaches - this is where the Westin recommended by Incabod is located.

But there is so much to see and do everywhere and so many good lodging options as well as restaurants that an all-inclusive just really isolates you from the country which is kind of sad.

For more information about Costa Rica, you can check here www.visitcostarica.com and here www.costa-rica-guide.com

A couple of popular areas - www.arenal.net and www.manuelantoniopark.com

About National Parks - www.costarica-nationalparks.com

Some beach areas - www.nicoyapeninsula.com

and check here www.guanacastecostarica.com

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: all inclusives

No all-inclusives here in La Fortuna/Volcano Arenal area although many hotels will be happy to create a "package" so you know the price up front.

Wendy, La Fortuna, CR

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: all inclusives

Westin Conchal...the best...and do not worry you will find places that will be good enough without mea plans or AI...in my case it is funny to even thing about staying in a hotel with a funny meal plan...of course is my very personal opinion...

roadadvisor

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: all inclusives

I've come to realize, and respect, that a lot of people here on TA don't like AIs. Fair enough. People have different preferences. I did the non-AI route in CR, going from San Jose to Jaco up to Guanacaste and back to SJ. The food was everything from downright awful to very good (mostly somewhere inbetween). It was a great adventure, but certainly cost more money in the end. We've also done the condo type vacation, cooking to save the expense of always dining out. But shopping, cooking and cleaning up isn't my idea of a vacation. Too much like home.

So we do AIs for the convenience, not having to find or drive to restaurants (and them home after drinking!), not having to take a lot of money, not having to cook ever! We usually find that the cost with food and drinks is barely more, or even less in some places. So having some meals out is an option. Low end to mid-range AIs tend to have average food, but then so do some cheap restauarants. High end AIs we've been to, like Couples in Jamaica, have absolutely excellent food, with lots of variety and local options.

Anyway, an AI doesn't have to be like a jail! You can't still get out of the resort to do tours or rent a car and drive around, grabbing lunch or even dinner. It's an option as a base camp.

But if you prefer to see a ton of the country, rather than just what's within driving distance for the day (which is still lots), then better to rent a car, drive all over the country and stay non AI.

P.S. We're going to the Hilton. Never been, but I'm sure it will meet our needs just fine. Any vacation is what you make of it.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,971 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: all inclusives

I agree with DebandKev with respect to the low cost of some AIs but some things to remember: Generally you get what you pay for. The majority of AIs in Costa Rica are in isolated locations, far from excursions and other restaurants/activities. Unless you rent a car you're captive to onsite food (usually buffet) and the high cost of organized excursions (due to distance).

Costa Rica does have a lot of inexpensive charming lodgings and great little restaurants but you won't find them through a travel agent. Not everyone wants to do the research. IMO Costa Rica has some beautiful beaches but, with the exception of the Westin, the AIs are not located on the best beaches. Sort of the reverse of conditions in Punta Cana, Jamaica and the Mexican Riviera.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: all inclusives

Yup, point totally taken crfan. The Hilton is certainly not walking distance to restaurants. They have options for meals other than buffet, but I'm not expecting fancy. I guess it depends how high a priorty food is. As for location for tours, it doesn't seem bad for the Guanacaste area, with several parks close enough for day trips.

No doubt there are great, charming little places in the heart of towns, or out of the way. I stayed in some. For me, preferable in many ways to big hotels, AI or not. So I do get that people prefer these types of accommodations. I'm just explaining what it is that we like about AIs and the misconceptions that you have to be trapped in one.

However, even if we were in a non AI hotel in say, Tamarindo, where food is all within walking distance, we'd still need a car or tours to see the parks. I don't think I'd want to reply on not having a car in Arenal either. I honestly think that no matter where you stay, to really see the country you need to have a car, (or a driver, or do tours). Planting in the centre of one town without transportation seems even more limiting to me... although our friends did that. They rented a house on the Caribbean coast somewhere, rented a car to get there, parked, then didn't budge from town for a whole month. Different preferences for different people. :)

Edited: 15 August 2011, 22:24
9. Re: all inclusives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 23:16